Martin’s mid-term report.

Trip Start Mar 12, 2011
Trip End Dec 15, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Saturday, September 24, 2011

Martin’s mid-term report.
Well its September 16th and
I think its time to get back into the swing of things. Without having
the car near to hand its easy to forget that there is another stage
in the journey to be completed. Roger has booked our flights for 13
October to go out to Los Angeles and for 16 November to come back
from New York, so something is definitely going to happen to
something or someone.
So – what’s been going on since
last time you looked in on us? You will know that I went out to LA
and under the watchful eye of Scott did quite a lot of repair work to
Stanley which he continued after I left. Subsequently the car was
removed from Scott’s workshop and put in to short term storage.
We then started work on routes and
paperwork. We have agreed on an outline route which avoids most of
the things Roger and I have already seen, takes in a few new ones and
fails to get us near numerous others .So you see there is already a
slightly different flavour creeping in. Whereas Bedford to
Vladivostok was all about the destination and how best to get there
in consideration of the terrain, border difficulties etc.,we have
made an assumption that we will have no problems with roads and have
paid little attention to state-to-state transfers. We have chosen a
route which avoids interstate roads and freeways as best we can and
gives us an opportunity to see some Americana. We will have to decide
how we deal with cities and large towns as we come to experience the
reaction from natives and motorists.
If Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman
was my idea of how not to cross Europe and Asia, then Billy
Connolly’s Route 66 currently showing on TV is exactly how we will
not be letting you know of our experience in crossing US.
Now the paperwork. You will recall the
problems we had in actually obtaining entry for car to US. This was
as nothing compared to the next requirement – getting insurance.
Despite being introduced to half a dozen specialist insurance
companies which advertise in the classic car magazines in the States,
none was prepared to consider the thought of a vehicle temporarily
imported from overseas being insured by a non resident. If the
vehicle had been registered i.e. fully imported then there might be a
way .If, alternatively, I already insured a registered vehicle in US
then cover could be extended to another temporarily imported, but in
order to do so I would need to be a registered householder, voter,
taxpayer or some other qualification to prove I was a son of the
Federation. Alternatively I could take out a self-insured bond -
$750,000. Or take a driving test (whilst waiting for my application
for registration to Social Security to come through).So I drew a
blank there. The legislation allows temporary import for a car for
use by a resident but not an overseas driver. Ironically US companies
extend cover for their clients driving in UK but UK companies have
not got a reciprocal arrangement.
After much research I ended with a
choice of cover offered by Hagertys UK which is an offshoot of
a US company of the same name and headed by a very helpful Angus
Forsyth and Farmers which is a US company represented by their
Los Alamitos broker Omar Martinez.We leave for US with a bit of paper
which mentions both our names, the identity of the car and the word
“insurance”, so there is hope.
Which leaves one last arrangement to be
put in place before we go-how do we get car out of US? That will be a
story for another day.
Putting this instalment of the blog
together has re-connected me with the project and started warming me
up for the preparations ahead. Hopefully it has re-kindled your
interest and as always Roger and I are indebted to you for taking
time to follow us as on our journey.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Barbara Goss on

It is good to hear that you have done all the preliminaries and are about to set off again... looking forward to following your adventures once again! Good luck and hambagashle. (Roger will have to translate that one)

Charlotte'n'Alien on

Interest re-kindled and looking forward to the next journey!

Janet & Dave Parsons on

On the edge of our seats ready for the next adventure! Thank you for the update.

Fiona on

Have you got a map of the route yet? I look forward to putting another up on my new wall!

Peter W (California) on

I have been away from California - yeah travelling on roads in Malawi & Zambia that I guarantee would shake that distinguished vehicle of yours to pieces and no repeat no way of repair.Regardless of customs formalities on your trip to Vladivostok the customs,immigration departments at the Malawi/Zambian border with hordes of money changers,permits, carbon tax,3rd party insurance etc would have driven you stark raving mad. But I digress would you advise where you are now?? are your plans to start on Route 66 set in stone??

Chris & Elaine on

We look forward to reading about the next stage in your adventure. Best of luck.

sara on

bon voyage- am looking forward to the next round of illuminating blogs. have already printed a map of america for the smalls to join dot to dot- just need to work out where la is to start you off now.....

Bridget Newman on

Hi Roger and Martin
Thinking of you flying to LA
Enjoy your travels through USA
from Peter and Bridget in Canton Georgia

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: