Trains and Mistaken Planes

Trip Start Jan 02, 2011
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
McLeods Inn

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Saturday, January 8, 2011

We were rudely awakened at 6am by a man hacking up flem that continued for hours. If that wasn't enough we had hotel staff banging on our door from 8am in the hope that we had left already. Between this, the hundreds of woodlice, the stained walls and sticky bedsheets we had had more than enough of Victoria Inn. After this we were determined to find a decent guest house in our next destination: Kandy. The train to Kandy left from Nanu Oya at 12.30pm so we caught a bus from Nuwara Eliya around 10am for 18 rupees each and waited on the platform.

Sri Lankan trains! The ultimate way to travel! For the pitiful 320 rupees (80p each) we paid for the 5 hour journey, we got a true aesthetic adventure through the hill country, tea plantations and waterfalls. We began sitting on the available seats in 2nd class, sliding our backpacks under them, but were soon taking it in turns to hang out of the door of the train; an exhilarating experience! Similar to the Darjeeling Limited, the colours scattered around the train made for great photographs. Sometimes we sat together in the doorway dangling our legs out of the carriage, watching the hill country go by; best when we rode over tall bridges or through tunnels.

We arrived in Kandy around 5pm during thunder showers and caught a tuktuk from a lovely Sri Lankan called Chris who pointed out the sights as we climbed the hill to McLeods Inn. 2000 rupees for a spotless room, friendly service and a wonderful view of the city and lake from the balcony. That evening, we sat and watched the giant fruit bats in the storm feeling very relaxed, enjoying a drink on our last full night in Sri Lanka.

Total 28 quid

Woke around 9am and had a lovely breakfast of egg, toast, jam and a fruit plate. After checking out we stayed chilling on the hotel balcony as the thunder storm was still going on from the night before. We saw trees fall down onto the road and a school and had heard one had crashed onto a bus. We started to wonder if it would effect our trip back to the airport.

Idiots! Not sure how it happened but we soon realised that our flight was actually Tuesday and not Monday, so we had another day and night to kill. The hotel had already become fully booked that morning so we decided to head back to Negombo to be closer to the airport and to hopefully get better weather. Another 5 hours later and we were back in Negombo. Most places were booked up but we found a room at Sea Joy Hotel. Pretty basic and simple, but cleaner than Victoria Inn. 1500 rupees. Ate at a place recommended by the Lonely Planet and it was ok, expensive though. Ammehula restaurant, full meal cost 2000 rupees. Played cards outside our room drinking coke as alcohol was hard to come by. 1 day left till Bangkok.

Total 29 quid
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: