Harden to Dover

Trip Start Oct 17, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Tennessee
Friday, November 2, 2012

When we got to the front desk at Kenlake State Park we instinctively asked for help crossing the bridge back to LBL. One of the good people who works at the state park named Jeff said he would help us get back across without that "fear factor." This allowed us the luxury of a restful night's sleep that we haven't experienced since even before we left on this journey! At least for one of the two nights we stayed there. Given all of the unknowns; the reliability of the maps, internet or otherwise, the weather and the reliability of forecasts, internet accessibility, phone service, that and more have caused a loss of sleep most nights.
After being dropped off at the midway point on LBL, the Golden Pond Visitor Center being the safest place to unload our gear and re-mount it on our bikes, we rode the thirty miles from Hardin, Kentucky, to Dover, Tennessee. It was the same hilly as the day before! When we started on The Trace we were immediately faced with the hill in our favor; in terms, downhill for about 250 feet. But remember, whatever goes down must go up, again and again and again! After ten miles of riding we were in Tennessee and pulled off on the side of the road to eat, once again leftovers/ lunch. The road is long and all National Park and we didn't see much in the way of other people. Again we were left to the continuous view of the lands and the woods, our thoughts, our stamina and/or resolve. Until we got to Route 79 in Dover and there it was in front of us, aaaaah, McDonalds! We haven't seen one since Effingham when we left the interstate. We (those of you who know her know it was Devon, not we) had to stop and get some french fries. Since McDonalds was next to a gas station we were able to fill our tires with air which we haven't done for a few days, one less worry. This task had been more of a chore in the past having to tackle it in our overcrowded motel rooms with our bike hand-pumps. We then detoured to the pharmacy for eye drops; those winds accompanied by the downhill runs gives cause for aid!
Only two and a half miles to the campground, and hopefully only that one long hill standing in front of us. As we approached the campground we saw a police car directing traffic on the highway in front of where there had to be 8 or 9 firefighting vehicles, the whole nine yards! In the midst of all the chaos was a large motor home with a trailer full of go-carts attached. This was taking place in the parking lot of a restaurant just before the entrance to the campground. As we approached the police officer he joked about letting us through.
Today we checked in to our FIRST campground, albeit we opted for a cabin. And we might as well have been tenting given the bugs; the debris, that attaches itself to any body or thing and deposits itself inside the cabin; and the skunk which we found out later that the owner's mother feeds!, (really?, really.). Now we know what that bowl of food was for that was setting on the ground just outside our cabin!!! We hastily hung all of our bike bags on the clothes rod, high and away from those crawly bugs, put the laundry in and went next door for dinner. More catfish and dinner buffet! The sad remains of the motorhome was still in the parking lot.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Desnee on

Cute. All in one cabin? Was it fullservice with a kitchen & bath?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: