Day 75 - Saying good-bye to the jungle

Trip Start Sep 30, 2012
Trip End Jan 09, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Peru  , Lima,
Friday, December 14, 2012

After a lovely and interesting time in the jungle, seeing very different things to what we are used to - it is time to say good bye.
We woke early for a last river cruise to see and feed the monkeys on the island across the river. We never get tired of monkeys, they are so fun and interesting to watch - perhaps its because they so human in many ways.
Our last cruise took us around the lagoon area across the river from the lodge. We saw some capuchin monkeys playing next to the river, as well as a tucan up in a tree, some screamers and two sloths! The jungle has been a wonderful experience.
Tummies grumbling, breakfast was waiting for us back at the lodge, after which we packed and sorted the last of our things before boarding the speediest boat to take us back upriver to Nauta.
Our taxi from Nauta turned out to be a bit of a dud. After 15 minutes the engine started to give trouble. Luckily it had enough in it to get us back to town to catch another taxi. The next one worked! Although Tess did need to have a chat to Leo - the driver was tired and could hardly keep his eyes open! So he needed a bit of a talking to after some startling very long blinks.
Getting to Iquitos around lunch, we went to the lodges sister restaurant in Iquitos, Bacenero, famous for its Cebeche (raw lime marinated fish). We tried the speciality which included all types of seafood. It was delicious.
Leo's wife has a little tourist shop she runs. Leo does some craft making in his spare time for the shop too - so with some time to kill we headed down the road by tuk tuk to see the shop. As part of a street of informal tourist shops, we spent a bit of time checking out and buying some of the goods on offer. It was lovely to meet Leo's wife, although the language barrier difficult. She was very sweet and fanned us while we were in her shop, a reprieve from the scorching day. That said we had enough of the heat and decided to head back to the restaurant to sit in the cool before our transfer arrived to take us to the airport.
Having just enough time for an ice cream at the restaurant, we jumped in a taxi to the airport to catch our flight to Lima. Leo came with us to say cheers. As a native Indian, a person with an interesting life story as well as being a very nice person it has been great to have Leo as a guide.

After a bit of a muddle in Lima to get a transfer to the hostel, we managed to sort out that the hostel transfer (the same guy from our last transfer in Lima) took us to the hostel.
Back into our 12 room dorm for the night. The first thing Anton did was to have a shower to appreciate hot water, as there was none at the amazon lodge. We settled down, check emails and read before heading to sleep excited for a trip to Argentina starting in the morning.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: