The Good Ship Lollipop

Trip Start Sep 03, 2011
Trip End Oct 02, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Oasis of the Seas

Flag of Virgin Islands US  , Saint Thomas Island,
Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's day two on our cruise - my updates may be a bit sporadic as Internet is very expensive on the ship so I’ll just write my story offline and then log on to add the photos and send to you so the photos won’t have much in the way of a description as I have to add those bits on line.

So backtracking to when I left you – we had a pleasant Friday evening in Washington – had a few drinks in our hotel, met a nice couple from Perth WA and at their recommendation went over the road to the Hyatt for dinner – which was indeed good. We then had a relatively early night and were in bed by around 9.30pm.  But we had to be up by 4.45am on Saturday for our transfer to the airport so of course you know how it is – after sleeping through to about 1.30am I then woke up every half hour to check the time!!!

Finally just got up at 4.30am and our transfer arrived bang on time at 5.37am – who could believe they’d be that precise.   We got to Reagan Airport and had a very straightforward checking in process and went through to security and found a nice little place to have some breakfast and then our flight for Fort Lauderdale left at 8.30am.  It was almost a three hour flight which passed pretty quickly and then we were there.  We were met in the arrivals hall by representatives of Royal Caribbean who gave us our luggage tags and made us feel so welcome.  A fifteen minute wait then the bus arrived to take us to Port Everglades – only ten minutes away.  Our first sign of Oasis of the Seas was incredible – she is massive!  By this time our luggage was all tagged with our name and cabin number and had been loaded onto the bus.  So we didn’t have to touch it again till it arrived in our cabin!  We went through a security screening process, then handed over our check in documentation, had our photos taken and were given our Sea Pass.  This is pretty standard with all cruises these days – you don’t need any money on board – your Sea Pass (or whatever name they give it) is a plastic card which has your name and cabin number on it – had a photo of you stored which is visible when scanned and a few other details like which dining room your booked for and where your mustering point is for evacuation. So this card lets you buy anything – then your credit card is billed at the end, acts as your cabin key, and is like a passport when you disembark and embark.  Anyway once we had our sea passes we then got the obligatory photo taken of us against a backdrop of the ship – a must have souvenir! Then we boarded!

It’s almost impossible to describe how vast, magnificent and luxurious this ship is.  We’ll be trying to take photos but you just can’t capture it all on camera.  So within about 20 minutes of our arrival at Port Everglades we were sitting, absorbing and watching others boarding, in the Schooner Bar and having a little Heineken.  We then went to see if our cabin was ready – it was and our cases were just being delivered – all this accomplished in less than an hour – what an amazingly slick operation.  We’ve got an inside cabin which is really quite spacious – certainly much bigger than the space you and I had to manoeuvre in Sharon!  We have a king size bed, a wardrobe with hanging space and shelving, a dresser area with cupboard and storage – really all well designed to maximise the space.  We also have a settee and a little coffee table as well as a fridge and flat screen TV.  There is both bright and subdued lighting selections and mirrors everywhere which makes it look bigger too.  The bathroom is equally well designed, loo, shower – quite roomy really – with fitted cupboards, racks for your toiletries and lots of hooks.

We had a bit of a wander around – mouths hanging open much of the time! and then had a bite of lunch in the Solarium Bistro.  Just had a salad but really nice.  Craig wandered off to find the smokers areas and I went back to the cabin and finished unpacking our stuff and we’re able to store all our suitcases under the bed.  Then at 4.30pn we had an evacuation muster – required by law before sailing and then at 5pm the big girl set sail.  We raced up on deck – along with another 6000 people to see her leave port.  Fabulous! 

We were booked for dinner at 6.15pm - you can take pot luck and possible have to wait or you can do My Time Dining which allows you to specify a time and ensure there is a table available for you straight away and you can plan around any shows you’re going to see or any shore excursions.  We had an absolutely delicious dinner –they even have a Vitality menu which gives you calorie counted food. I decided I’d try that since otherwise by the end of the week I’ll waddle off the ship, not to mention that it sounded really good – and it was!  Mushroom and baby spinach salad with raspberry vinaigrette, followed by panfried sea bass with green beans and capers and then strawberry pavlova for dessert.  Craig had the chef’s selection – onion tart, followed by Pork Medallions with mashed potatoes – also delish he said.  Unfortunately when I had made our booking for one of the shows – Hairspray – which is only on 3 times – I chose 9pm that night – not realising that we’d have been up since sparrow fart and therefore be absolutely knackered.  Anyway we wander round checking out a few more things – there is so so much to see and then headed to the Opal Theatre to see the show – we managed through to about half way and we were both having little microsleeps and I actually had a headache by this time so I whispered to Craig that this was crazy – let’s head back for some sleep.  So we did – our bed was also nicely turned down with chocolates left on the corner by Clover who is our stateroom attendant – she’d introduced herself earlier and seems like a real character. 

And now it’s morning – Craig had warned me that he wasn’t getting up early – I got up around 8.30am and had a shower and washed my hair and did a bit of undie washing and then I’ve been bringing you lot up to date.  It’s now 9.30am and my body is crying out for a coffee – I think I might need to ring room service.  I’m off now to see what photos I’ve got and get them ready to upload to this.  I’ll need to visit Guest Services first to get myself set up for internet access and then I will need to be very disciplined – upload my travelblog, add the photos, check my emails and I might have to ignore Face Book this week – the internet charge is 65cents a minute and we all know how easy it is to while away time online!

Back soon
Love Anni xx
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Ruthie on

What a monster - our last cruise was 2,500 people I think and that seemed enormous. It must be like a small city - you'll keep finding little hideouts all the time! Keep having fun. Sam Stosur won US Open this morning. Move week into new office building on Friday.

Ruthie - again! on

Forgot to mention - internet usage on our ship was diabolical - we prepaid for usage during the cruise and ended up demanding a refund at the end - the lines kept dropping out and for a 10 day cruise, think I managed to get on successfully twice and spent a lot of time trying. A lot of people just waited until they were in port and used their wireless.

Lou on

Rather bigger than Uncle Finlay!! Looks wonderful - have fun!! xxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: