"you gotta no rules here"

Trip Start Jan 11, 2011
Trip End May 25, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Italy  , Sicily,
Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My mom, my sister, and I made it safely from Florence to Venice to Palermo. We took a train from Florence to Venice and then flew from Venice to Rome to Palermo. For some odd reason, our bags kept getting heavier and heavier. We started our travels packed with enough luggage for five. By the time we reached Rome to fly to Palermo, I thought I was going to have to layer my clothing in order for our luggage to be accepted at the check in desk.

Thirty minutes after we took off from Rome, we started to see mountainous Sicily. The sea surrounding the island was so blue that it seemed unrealistic. Within ten minutes, we landed. Santa and Domenico picked us up from the airport and we settled in at their house for the remainder of our trip.

The first word I heard when we got to the house was, "Mangia." Liz, knowing just a little Italian, knew exactly what this word meant. Within a few minutes, we were eating the freshest sea food pasta I have ever eaten. In preparation of this dish, Santa had shrimp dancing and flipping around in the sink. Their party ended quickly.  After our pasta course, we had fried tuna, and fried calamari. After the second course, we had salad...it still was not over. We then had dessert, which consisted of fruit, Sicilian cookies, and colorful gelato cake. Keep in mind this was lunch. Mom and liz could not stop drooling because each bite of the meal was incredibly delicious. Our taste buds were having a ball. Mom and sis had a hard time believing I ate like that every time I went to visit our family. I assured them that it was not something I took for granted.

Every day we were about 20 people, laughing, crying and eating together. The family was always over at Santa's because we only stayed for three days; they wanted to spend as much time as possible with us but I think they wanted to feed us as much as they could before we left. When we were all together everyone would be screaming, yelling, and laughing. Liz and I had little to no idea what was really going on, so we just laughed when everyone else was laughing. It is pretty humorous to listen to a bunch of Italians yelling at each other because one minute they would be swinging their hands everywhere, voices would be getting louder and then within a few seconds, everyone would be laughing, eating, and kissing each other. ...livin' life!!

Every morning I would wake up to the smell of onions and garlic. Zia Nina would start cooking lunch at 6 in the morning...everyday! The whole house would smell so good that my mouth would start to water. Not only were we waking up to these spectacular aromas but cornettos and different little desserts would be set out on the table.
In Sicily and Italy, it is common to have something sweet for breakfast with an espresso. Every morning we woke up to some kind of cornetto, which is a sugar coated croissant with either a chocolate, Nutella, or jelly filling. I consider them to be a dessert because they are so sweet. We had dessert for breakfast, desserts for a snack, dessert after lunch, and dessert for an optional late night snack.

At night, we all went out together. Our last night in Porticello, we took five cars into the city of Palermo. When we got there my mom said we looked like we were in some sort of procession because we were so many people all walking together down the sidewalks of Palermo. Twenty short, dark haired Italians walking together--then there was me. The only tall, blonde in heals, walking with the group. We saw two famous theaters in Palermo. One was in the last scene of the Godfather! After, we stopped at a pizza place for a bite to eat. In Sicily, with this family, there is no such phrase. After such big lunches, we were never really hungry at night, but if we did not eat...they were offended. We all ordered pizzas, pastas, and antipastos. The food was never ending. Liz and I attempted to stop eating during these meals, but when we did not understand what was going on, or what people were talking about, there was nothing to do besides sit and stare at the food...so we enjoyed every last bite.

On Saturday, we flew back to Rome with not so easy, Easyjet. We found ourselves cramming each and every piece of clothing anywhere we could. I think I had just as many clothes smashed  in my purse, as I did in my luggage. Similar to my first trip to Sicily, we left with an unbelievable amount of gifts. We had pasta, sauce, espresso, cans of tuna. You name, we had it, and somehow managed to smash it somewhere in our luggage.

We made it back to Rome with all of our luggage plus four more bags that I had stored since I had moved out of my apartment. After all of the traveling I did over the semester, I thought I had gotten good at packing lightly... I guess not.   ...maybe this means I need see a few more countries and get some more experience!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Zizi Ann zambito on

This is really great. brings back memories of when I was there...
Great blog, I hope this is not the end of it. Hope you continue a
blog of your summer intership in Minnesota.....

Thank you for all the great blogs I really enjoyed them.

Love you, zizi Anna

Auntie Jo on

I feel like my own vacation is comingn to a close. A wonderful experience for all of us. Safe flight home. Remember where that is?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: