Home to Veracruz

Trip Start Feb 05, 2010
Trip End Feb 13, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Veracruz Hotel
Read my review - 4/5 stars

Flag of Mexico  , Central Mexico and Gulf Coast,
Friday, February 5, 2010

Today began with an early start to finish packing and load the car. I met my friend Donna in Allentown at 11:00 a.m. before continuing onto Philly where I was leaving my car and flying from. We weren't sure if when we got there our flight was going to happen due to the large snowstorm hitting the east coast but we decided to chance it.

We arrived in Philly at the AviStar parking lot about 12:30 p.m. The shuttle was there when we were unloading our luggage so we didn't have to wait to go to the airport. We got into the airport before 1:00 p.m. and found a long line through security. We had checked our bags online the night before to save money and it helped expedite the process and by 1:30 p.m. we had checked our bags and were through security.

We went to the King of Pizza restaurant by our gate to get something to eat for lunch. They had decent pizza, we also overheard some workers saying that the airport was closing early due to the snow. After we ate we double checked the boards but our flight still showed as on-time. I tried to check the internet on my iPod Touch but quickly found out that the wi-fi in the Philly airport was paid wi-fi. My family called with news about our flight and it looked like we were the last flight out of the airport.

We arrived in Houston at 6:30 p.m. we went to Chilis Too in the airport to get some dinner. While we were eating Marlo and Emily saw me and recognized me from Facebook and came over to introduce themselves. They were both going on our trip. We invited them to sit with us and we talked about kayaking for quite awhile. After dinner we went to our gate. I was able to go online at the gate and I checked my email and let me family know where I was. We boarded the plane about 8:40 p.m. and another woman asked me if I was going kayaking. Her name was Dawn and she was also on our trip.

We arrived in Veracruz about 12:00 p.m. I got two taxis for us to our hotel. After some initial confusion at reception we got our rooms figured out. We decided to go to the zócalo for a drink. We went to Caliente and ordered some cervezas. Our waiter recognized us as Americans immediately and started asking us for our Superbowl picks so he could bet with his friends! He also told us about the festivities that would be starting soon for Carnaval.We intended to only stay for one drink but we had a few and stayed out til 3 a.m. The girls were asking me questions about the trip since I had done the Beginner trip last year. We also saw the typical battle of the mariachi bands, the vendors in the zócalo and several street performers.We made plans for the next morning and said good night. I checked my email on the hotels spotty wi-fi connection and called it a night.

 Things Learned on Day 1:
1. Checking your bags online will usually save you a few dollars and alot of time in the airport.

2. AviStar website : http://www.avistarparking.com

3. An iPod Touch is a great travel tool if you don't have a laptop. You can access the internet anywhere there is a wi-fi connection plus it houses email, apps, games and music as well.

4. The Philly airport says they have free wi-fi but it is all paid.5. Hotel Veracruz Centro Histórico has spotty wi-fi. You can get good reception from the balcony.
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: