Day 1 : Glasnevin, Dublin - Pints, Pubs, Pints!

Trip Start Aug 28, 2005
Trip End Sep 05, 2005

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Ireland  , County Dublin,
Sunday, August 28, 2005

I arrived in Ireland at 5:30 a.m. when my plane landed in Dublin.... I flew solo since I was meeting Michelle, Lauren and Katie later in the day.

I got a cab to take me to the Aghadoe House, our first bnb. It was a 15 min ride from the airport and it cost 27.80 Euro, I almost shit my pants!

The Aghadoe House is owned by a very friendly couple named Margaret and Eugene. They were kind enough to be awake at 6:00 a.m. for my arrival and to let me in. They let me crash on the couch until noon, which is check-in time. They even fed me breakfast before I got into my room. They give their guests maps of Dublin and suggestions on things to do and see. I slept from 12:30-2 then got up to take a shower.

What fun that was! I couldn’t get any hot water at all!!!!!!! There was no one around to ask. So I had to figure it out on my own. Finally I found a switch on the wall that must have operated some kind of water-heater because after flipping the switch I finally got hot water.

The water pressure in Ireland is weak, I hear most of Europe conserves water and other resources. After showering I had another dilemma.... What adapter to use for my blow dryer!First I tried the plug labeled “Europe” and that didn’t fit... so next I tried the plug labeled “England/Africa” because the only other plug I had left was “China”. Well the “England/Africa” plug worked which I didn’t get because I was neither in England or Africa but whatever!

I managed to get my hair dry without a nuclear meltdown....I kept thinking of that Travelocity commercial where the gnome gets electrocuted when he plugs the American hair dryer into a European socket.

Michelle, Katie and Lauren arrived in Dublin at 7:30. They picked up the Nissan Almera that we rented for the trip at the airport. Michelle was the driver for the trip and she said “driving a stick-shift with the steering wheel on the right-hand side of the car on the wrong side of the road was quite an experience!”

Margaret told us about a great place just up the road called the Porterhouse. She said it was a pub/restaurant and we could get dinner there. We were all hungry so that’s where we decided to go. It was about a 5 min walk from our bnb. Well it turns out the Porterhouse is not only a pub/restaurant but is also a microbrewery! Awesome Choice! The place is huge, there’s like 3 or 4 floors and they have beers from all over the world! :) We ordered a Buffalo-Chicken pizza, which was really good, and we selected a 7% alcohol amber-ale beer called “An Brain Blásta”. Our waitress warned us that no one should drink more than 2 pints of it in a day. We thought she was giving us shit because we are American and our beer is weak..... We ordered it anyway, and ordered it, and ordered it and ordered it again!

We drank about 3 or 4 rounds of Imperial Pints of “An Brain Blásta” inside the pub (that’s 20 oz. or 2.5 cups per pint for you conversion challenged) Alot of beer at any rate! The Porterhouse had a back patio and Katie and Lauren wanted to smoke so we went outside... Ireland has banned smoking in all public buildings. There were a group of local guys at the tables next to us outside. I think they bought us some pints, I don’t remember. We sat outside drinking and talking until about 11:30 when the pub was going to close. We were heading back to our bnb, because truth be told we had too much to drink BUT the guys from the Porterhouse caught up to us and asked us if we wanted to go to another pub. They took us to a pub called the Botanic Pub right across the street from our bnb. When we got there the Pub was closed. So one guy went and got the owner to open it back up for us! We stayed there drinking for free with these guys until 5:30 a.m. I can’t remember alot but the one guy Jon was really funny. I think we had a good time! We left that pub at 5:30 a.m. and everyone was smashed!

Finally as the sun was coming up we decided it was time to go to bed. We got into the bnb at about 6:00 a.m. I think we may have woken quite a few people up! We sat around talking and eating the most awful crackers Katie had. We went to bed about 6:30 a.m.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: