Byron Bay in the rain

Trip Start Jul 14, 2002
Trip End Dec 17, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Saturday, September 9, 2006

On my last day in Sydney I went with Molly and her boyfriend to a river miles away from anywhere. We had to drive through red dusty roads to get there, and it was in the mountains so it was cold. Along the way we saw 5 dead kangaroos and a dead wombat that looked like it had literally just fallen asleep. The river was pretty, with black swans and jumping fish, and we made a fire and sat around it while Molly's boyfriend played the guitar. On the way back we saw some live kangaroos, jumping by the roadside. There were also whole fields of them further up. Back in Sydney we had Thai food for dinner and I got an early night due to having to get up very early the next day.
The next day, in torrential rain in Sydney, I caught the bus at 6.30 to a place called Barrington, which is in the Barrington tops National park. There we went on a walk up the hills (I was knackered) and saw the kangaroos hopping about and then went down to the river to look for platypusses (did not see any) which involved climbing trees and getting very muddy. In the evening we ate pizza around a fire, and then the crazy ones (me included) went night kayaking. It was pitch black on the rapids, so I couldn't see the rocks, so got stuck on many of them. I also managed to fall out on the last rapid and now have the biggest bruise on my knee you have ever seen. But it was good fun. Afterwards we all sat in the hot tub under the stars - very cool. The next day we left barrington, and headed along the Pacific highway to a place called Arrawarra where we had a surfing lesson. I was absolutely useless, but managed to stand up once, before realising it is easier to stay lying down, and just as much fun. I swallowed loads of water but it was great fun and I would do it again. The beach was gorgeous, with 2-3m high waves. That night we ate around the fire and I fed apples to the possums that came to say hello (they are so cute!). Next day we had another surf lesson which tired me out constantly battling against the current so I was glad for a rest on the bus up to Byron Bay where I am now. We passed many fields of sugar cane and loads of pretty beaches and cliffs. Byron Bay is targeted at backpackers and supposedly the best place to come. However I don't really see much to do here apart from eat and drink (maybe that's the point). Yesterday another traveller called Pam and I walked along the beach, which is about 10km long, which was pretty, with lovely soft sand. We also saw trees full of multicoloured parrots. In the evening we had dinner in Cheeky Monkey's (THE place to be!). Today it is pouring with rain so I went shopping. All the shops are very spiritual with crystals and henna tattoos so I bought some crystal earrings and some postcards. I am leaving here to morrow and heading to Brisbane.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: