Home sweet Home
Trip Start Aug 01, 2008
16Trip End Aug 16, 2008
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Here are some of my after thoughts of this trip and Peru in general:
1) It is definitely one of my TOP trips, the sights such as Machu Picchu and Cusco are just Amazing. Machu Picchu really lives up to its fame and name, one of the most incredible place in the world. IT IS A MUST SEE !!!
2) Be prepared for unsanitary toilets. No toilet covers is the norm. Bring your own toilet paper. Soap is also a rare commodity.
3) Although people are generally very friendly, BEWARE of scams. Taxi in Lima should run between 5-10 soles, Some driver will rip you off at 30 soles or more, always agree on the fare before getting on. Be wary of people who are just too friendly, they are usually after something you have.
4) Bring extra warm clothing like thick socks, gloves or hats to any treks you do. The camping site usually get very cold at night , usually below zero.
5) Restaurants, try to get away from the city center, even a block or two away from the popular tourist area sees a significant price drop. I saw set menu at Cusco going from 40-70 soles at main square to 8-17 soles just 1 block away on the side street.
6) In Lima, some grocery store like Vivanda provides filling and inexpensive meals.
7) Always have everything down in writing when negotiating a tour. Also writing down the contact person's name and number are very helpful. A lot of time the pick up person don't show up at the train station, The tour that is suppose to happen never did, at least you have a number to call.
8) Lima has no metro or subway. Thus taxi is the only means of transportation.
9) Coca leaves and Diamox are two good methods to combat altitude sickness.
Thanks for reading my blogs, I hope you have fun reading them !!!