Final day of Trek

Trip Start Aug 05, 2011
Trip End Aug 11, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Travelodge Kalispell
Read my review - 4/5 stars

Flag of United States  , Montana
Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Hi Everyone,

      This morning we woke up to some clear but chilly sky. I put on thick jacket and head out to the lake shore, WOW, I saw the most incredible view in my life. The mountain behind Red eagle lake casted a perfect reflection in the still lake, absolutely breathtaking, there were not even 1 ripple in the lake. I grabbed my SLR and shoot several photos :)

      This morning, JD was busy as usual preparing our breakfast of granola and varieties of berries. The tart cherry was so delicious once mixed in powdered milk and warm water....Mmmm, so good. The mosquitos was slightly less vicious than yesterday. We filled up out water bottles before heading out. Jd mentioned to us our tek today will be 8 miles along the south side of Red Eagle Lake and then connecting up to St Mary's lake. Luckly it was once again leveled grounds, but the plants along the trail was taller than ever. As we walked and brushed ourselves against the invading plants, millions of bugs flew into the air right into our face. There were so many flying bugs, I had to cover my mouth and nose so they won't flying into my mouth and nostrils. Sophie was smart enough to wrap her scraf around her nose and mouth so her hands won't get sore like mine. The trek felt a bit endless. We crossed several hang bridges and everytime we cross, I asked JD "are we there yet?" Jd would simple respond " almost, just acouple more miles".  Today I have decided to leave my boots on and let the sandals hang onto my backpack. Big mistake, after trekking for a good 3 -4 miles, my right foot started to hurt, and my toes were once again jammed against the front of the shoe. Every step was so painful, but everytime we took a break, I pulled out my SLR to shoot more beautiful landscape photos, I guess its all worth it.  I stopped thinking about the pain in my foot and started humming with Sophie and Maggie and chatting with JD. Talking actually help me focus more on the fun than the foot pain.

      At around 130 pm, we saw some hiking wondering in to hiking trail so we curiously asked are we there yet? the response was positive 15 minutes :)  We finally got closed to the end  of the trail as Alyda came into the trail to welcome us. Alyda also took photos of us finishing the long trail with a celebratory group photo.  She then  helped us place our heavy gears into the back of her van and took us to a cute park for deli picnic. I have to tell you, picnic NEVER tasted SOOO good. Deli meat, potato chips, cold soda and cold water and salad and fruit platter, our group felt as if we are in heaven. I gulped down several cups of cold water and drank an apple juice and a canof ice tea. That was GOOOOD.   SInce we are now located at St. Mary or East Glacier, Alyda decided to take up on a scenic ride back to West Glacier throught the Going tot he Sun road. This the most famous highway trhough Glaciers National Park with highest elevation at 6000 feet at Logan Pass. Due to weather and snow conditions, the road closes every winter and won't open until mid June the following year. Due to the constant freezing and thawing, the road requires constant maintenance, so it is always under construction. We passed by so many beautiful peaks and waterfall that I was able to take many pretty photos despite being inside the car. Maggie was chatting with Alyda about her travels in the Glacier National Park since she grew up in the area. We saw JD passed out in a sleep coma, poor guy, he worked so hard guiding us for the last 4 days and will be repeating the whole cycle in 2 days.

       As we arrived at West Glacier, we exchanged our e-mail addresses and unloaded our belonging. I hugged JD for his hard work for the past 4 days. SInce I was the only one staying in Kalispell, I called the taxi to drive in to pick me up. Rest of the hiking group were off to their lodges in West Glacier.

        The taxi arrived about 45 minutes after. The driver Bill was so nice that on our way back to Kalispell, he even let me stop by a local stand to buy some delicious Huckleberries. He wasn't in a hurry so he showed me around town different buildings and downtown Whitefish and Columbia falls.
When I arrived at Kalispell Travelodge, I was limping so bad from the blister, Bill helped me unload my luggage. I thanked him profusely as I checked into the hotel. I first unload everything and went to the local supermarket for some food and got dinner at the Moose Lodege restaurant and some medicine for my foot.

        At the hotel, I did the one thing I have not done for the last 4 days, SHOWER. Ahh it felkt sooo good. Interesting how every little things we took for granted in our daily lives, now become true luxury.
Slideshow Report as Spam

My Review Of The Place I Stayed

Loading Reviews
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: