Our Holiday Continues

Trip Start Dec 22, 2012
Trip End Jan 05, 2013

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Saturday, December 22, 2012

After collecting our bags, we caught a taxi to Circular Quay, 25 minute drive and $52.00 later we arrive at the overseas passenger terminal. The first thing we notice is the sheer size of the cruise ship. It dwarfs the cruise terminal and is much larger than any other ship I have ever seen. We find Debbie and Brian standing in the queue waiting to board. We noticed 2 other people ( Phoebe & Dean ) standing next to Brian & Debbie who looked familiar. After saying hello to them, we realised that they were also on our last cruise in April. Small world isn't it. Boarding is scheduled to start at 11.30am New South Wales time. Debbie and Brian let us jump in front of them, so we are now first in the queue and ready to board. Just before 11.30 we are allowed to proceed to check in. Check in is completed very quickly and we are on board within 10 minutes.
First and most important things first. We head straight to the buffet on deck 11 for some food.
After our nice meal from the buffet, we decided to explore the ship and take a lot of photos, before it gets too busy.
After a couple of hours exploring we head back to the buffet, for a small meal to take us through to dinner. We then go and sit in the atrium bar waiting for 4.00pm to arrive so we can gain access to our room. Due to the previous cruise being infected with norovirus they decided to take double the precautions to prevent the spread of any outbreaks on this cruise.
Finally 4.00pm arrives and we are allowed into our room.
Our inside cabin 9351 is a decent size, not too big but not too small either. We unpack our suitcases and meet our room steward Duncan. Sarah has a short sleep while Darelle and I unpack and set the room up the way we will have it for the next 14 days. We put our small Xmas tree up & decorate our door in Xmas decorations.
We then headed off to the safety drill at 5.30pm.
Once the safety drill is completed, it is time to go to our dining room for 6pm dinner.
Our dining room is Carmen on deck 3.
Dinner is quite nice and we complete the first 2 courses by 7.15, however we do not have time for dessert as we have to leave to see the welcome on board show, with the in house singers and dancers and a comedian.
Once the show is complete we have another wander around the ship and wait for our departure from Sydney at 11pm Sydney time.
The captain advises us that everyone is on board and all procedures are completed, so we will now be leaving at 10pm rather than 11pm.
Sounds good to us as it has been a long day for everyone and we will be glad to get to bed tonight.
Right on 10pm the ship starts to pull away from the terminal in Sydney.
While Royal Caribbean is a good cruise line, they could certainly learn a trick or two about sail away parties from P&O. There is no fanfare, no music and even just a very short blast of the whistle, to signal that it is time to leave, although apparently they are not allowed to make too much noise due to the time they are leaving.
It is certainly an impressive sight leaving Sydney at nighttime, however once we have past the Opera House, there is really nothing to see, and we call it a night at 10.30pm.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: