Kanchanaburi and Erawan Falls!

Trip Start Sep 06, 2008
Trip End Apr 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hello Everyone!

We are wrapping up our last night in Kanchanaburi, but it's been a while since our last entry.. so here's the update!

We took the train from Thonburi Station (Bangkok Noi) to Kanchanaburi (Kan as the locals say). The ride was only 3 hours long and we were well taken care of. The woman across from us always offered us food if she was eating.. however as we declined her offer, she politely declined our offer of mini bananas. When Andrew offered her bananas, she seemed to think he was confirming that they were indeed bananas, rather than offering her one. It was quite funny to watch the 2 of them gesturing to each other.

After a long and sweaty trudge to the guesthouse we were quite pleased to find a beautiful bungalow on stilts overlooking the historic River Kwai. We have a great little veranda thats rustic and lovely to read on at night. The interior of our bungalow is maintained at a constant 18 degrees, so the Ice Queen as Andrew has dubbed Laura, will be comfortable. We sometimes wake up in the night shivering, much to Laura's delight. ;)

We've also been enjoying the wildlife at Blue Star. Not only is it overrun by cats and little kittens, geckos rule the ceilings while ants control the bathrooms. There's also a little bird that likes to be poked in the tummy. He talks. Thai of course! Sawadeeeee'kah...!

Yesterday we attempted to make a visit to the Tiger Temple. Attempt is the key word. We started by taking a local bus (which was painted in all colours of the rainbow) that brought us about 3 km from the Temple. We were proud to be the only Westerners on the bus and everyone took very good care of us, pointing out various points of interest, as well as making sure we got off at the right place. Laura spent the journey having a broken conversation with the Thai woman to her right. They counted on their fingers to 5, and the woman put her arm up to Laura's and giggled at the contrast in skin colour. This actually happens quite a bit to Laura. As we neared our destination random people on the bus started tapping Andrew on the shoulder and motioning him to stand. Once we got of the bus, we began a long and hot walk up a sun -parched country road. At one point Laura asked out loud "Is hell this hot?" to which Andrew replied "No dear, but is hell this humid?" After wandering and making a few wrong turns, we caught a ride on a truck-taxi to the gates. Much to our disappointment we found there was a very large entrance fee when we thought it was by donation. We realized that if we paid the enormous sum to go in, we wouldn't have enough money to go home. Hot and disgruntled, we began our walk back to the highway. As tired as we were, we were glad to be together, and we were appreciating the adventure we were having. As a little bonus, we had made a new friend at the entrance to the tiger temple. No, not a tiger - a curious little dog we named Samantha (Sam). She ended up leading us all the way back to the road, never straying more than 10 ft away.

Today was a very exciting day. We were determined to have something to write about in our blog this evening so we hauled ourselves up this morning and decided to venture to Erawan Falls, a seven tiered waterfall a couple hours out of town. Unfortunately due to Laura's love of sleeping, we were unable to catch an early bus. We ended up splitting a open bed taxi truck with a couple from Holland. We got along very well, and had lots of fun yelling conversation back and forth on our journey to the falls. Erawan Falls was definitely magical, and we are so glad we went. We were expecting it to be very much a tourist trap with paved roads and a designated swimming area, when in fact it was quite a hike. The trail ran parallel to the falls, occasionally cutting through the dense steamy jungle. As we mentioned,  there were seven tiers, all of which were unique. The water was absolutely gorgeous, a beautiful silty blue. In every pool there were hundreds of fish varying from the size of your pinkie, to 2 ft long (if allowed would have made great fly fishing Dad F!). They had a penchant to nibble on toes too. It felt like a cat's tongue licking you. We were able to jump in whenever we pleased. We even saw wild monkeys on the hike back down! We stayed at the Falls for the entire afternoon, and then at 4pm, tired but satisfied we headed back to the truck taxi to be taken back to civilization. It felt like we spent the day worlds away in jungle paradise.

We've enjoyed Kanchanburi and we plan to depart tomorrow morning to the ancient town of Ayuthaya. We'll write again soon! Thanks for all your comments on our entries, we really enjoy reading them!

love, Andrew and Laura
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


sinc59 on

Nice write-up. Sounds like you are having a great time. Too bad you didn't get in the Tiger temple. I hope you got a picture of the Falls!

Dad S.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: