Out of Africa

Trip Start Jul 24, 2012
Trip End Aug 19, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
My own bed

Flag of United Kingdom  , England,
Sunday, August 19, 2012

I opened my eyes as the lights went up for breakfast – how did that happen. It was about 4.45am.  Breakfast was what we'd had on the way out – so a croissant, jam, yoghurt and some crumbly cereal.  Andrew frowned at me from across the aisle.  I had a feeling we were going to have a full breakfast in the airport as soon as we arrived.  I finished my book – only the second of the trip – wiping away the tears wondering what the passengers sat either side of me thought.  We touched down at Heathrow 30 minutes early at 5.15am.

We quickly got over to Terminal 1 for our domestic flight to Manchester and immigration were very interested about where I had been, where I was going, if I was going back to work etc, etc – still they were very cheery and it made a nice change from how we were greeted when we got back from our big trip – I wondered if everyone had been intensively trained prior to the Olympic Games?

As expected Andrew wanted to find somewhere which served a proper breakfast so after scanning the menus and finding Rwandan coffee (after missing it at the Genocide museum in Kigali) on the menu at Giraffe we found a table.  Andrew ordered a breakfast and we both had a coffee – my heart burn was still killing me so I declined any food.  We killed some time in Dixons - Andrew loves these types of shops looking at cameras etc – I would rather poke my own eyes out. 

We killed some more time with The Observer reading all about the Olympics which we had sadly missed but had caught whatever we could when we had tv and internet access – hoping to get the box set at Christmas – he he.   After enquiring about whether we would be able to change our flight to the earlier one and finding that as we had checked our bags through to Manchester we couldn’t we were surprised to see that now we weren’t on the 2.05 but the 12.15 – result.

So we arrived back in Manchester at 1.15pm and got a black cab home.  It had been such a great trip, meeting the best people, seeing some of the most incredible animals and visiting some amazing countries.  Our first proper trip in to Africa had been enlightening.  Here’s some things we didn’t expect though:

To know what cheese triangles tasted like semi-frozen

To know how it feels to stare in to the eyes of a Gorilla and have them stare back

Mosquito bands don't work - the only bites I got were on my hands and feet right near them!

That our feet would be permanently filthy

To meet someone who had got to 30 and had never chopped an onion (love you Ariel)

The amount of dust a road can throw up – our hair looked as if we’d dyed it red

How good a Warbie’s loaf really is

That we would really appreciate the back on a chair (not a camping stool)

The amount of waving involved (my bingo wings are significantly firmer)

The amount of crap we would eat (crisps & biscuits on the truck)

Just how much we enjoy a powerful, hot shower

The scar a Tsetse fly bite can leave (I didn't feel it bite though)

How many pre-6am wake ups there would be

Just how bumpy the roads would be

How much fun we would have

The great people we would meet

To walk – with flip flops through human waste

How good red wine is when supped out of a camping cup, round a camp-fire, with friends – IN A CHILLY AFRICA!
Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: