Diahorrea Diaries

Trip Start Jul 24, 2012
Trip End Aug 19, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Marina Camp

Flag of Kenya  ,
Friday, July 27, 2012

(Andrew) We woke without the alarm clock again as the noise of people zipping and unzipping tents stirred us. It was 5:30 and pitch black. We packed up our tent and loaded our sleeping bags etc into the truck. A breako of cereal and bananas and passion fruit, a bit of diahorrea (oh no is this the onset of something terrible?). It was our turn to sit at the back of the truck which was a bumpy ride. As the sun rose just before 6am we were already at the park entrance. We drove in and were accompanied by our Masai night watchman, we saw lots of great animals as we entered but before long we were parked up in front of two male lions and four females gorging themselves on their kill. It was just incredible and having never seen big cats in the wild the noises the cats sent a shiver up the backbone, the big lion couldn't make up his mind if he wanted to mate with one of his pride or eat which led to amazing scenes of him pouncing on the female who was doing most of the eating. The second lion just sat with blood still on his face. Odd fact average gestation period for a lion is 3.7 months.

After about 30 – 45 minutes of that show we left and headed off into another open field huge numbers of Wildebeest and Zebra walking in single file. We recapped from the guide the Wildebeest and Zebra are a bit like 'hear no evil, see no evil" (something we regularly refer to ourselves as me not being able to see things and Erica is selectively deaf when I’m speaking), basically Wildebeest have a fantastic sense of smell hence the migration, when they smell rain and better grassland, the Zebra’s follow but have great eyesight so can warn when predators are near.

After that we happened upon about 25 Elephants of lots of different sizes which slowly walked up to the truck and around the front with no engine noise it was brilliant. The noise of them tearing up the grass as they walked was great. Also odd statistic a human being is more likely than an elephant to make a footprint in the ground (as it basically walks on tip toe) and is the only creature other than humans to have ceremonial burial.

We continued the search for the remainder of the big 5 (Elephant, Lion, Buffalo, Leopard and Rhino), and found a huge number of buffalo in a herd down near a river the males kind of look weird with a centre parting type haircut for the horns and the females the horns come out of the sides. We decided to head back to the edge of the park as we had a long drive ahead. We stopped at the gate entrance to use the loo’s and the women’s was flooded much to Erica’s amusement. I also managed to pick up a hot chick (about a 70 year old Masai woman) who kept asking me "who is your mama”, it was all a little strange.

We had been nominated to sit at the back of the bus for the journey back. The back seat is the most bumpy and you regularly are out of your seat with a back breaking fall, the roads here are un-surfaced and have massive holes in them making for a very unpleasant journey. After about 3 hours doing about 25 mph we were both feeling more and more unwell and we realised it was time for the standard of this blog to go downhill once again, it was time for the diahorea diary. So feeling that unwell we stopped for lunch and our 3 day old sandwich bag had a fly in it, our yogurt had frozen solid and our tomatoes had now frozen and defrosted twice and quite frankly were repulsive. Welcome to life on board an overland journey. Another hour later and we met tarmac much to our grateful stomachs and backsides. We then speeded up to a normal speed and took about another 4 hours. Some interesting stop offs on the way and the townships don’t half remind us of being back in the Philippines, the wooden shacks, chickens on car roofs, cows walking down the street, people hassling you into buying obscure DVD’s we have never heard of. We were knackered and desperate for the loo when we arrived at Lake Navashi. Tents up in the dark again and we decided that as we weren’t feeling well we would miss tomorrows bike ride in the Hells Gate national park, whilst it felt like for once we were being sensible, this meant no early start and before long we were back on the Tuskers and in full force. We had tea cooked by the kitchen of the campsite so ate off plates at a chair and table, it felt very weird and civilised and we hadn’t even been here for many days.

As soon as we ate though we took it in turns repeatedly going to the toilet to diarhorrea out our tea and beer. Not sure what the cause is but a few people have not been feeling the best. We wash up in tap water but it is mixed with dettol to kill germs. Anyway it didn’t stop us drinking and drinking and unsensibly Erica and I found a television and watched a bit of the Olympic opening ceremony which meant more beer. It’s a bit weird our bowel movements sometimes I go to the loo expecting diarohea and only break wind, on this occasion I tried to break wind and I got a splurge of diahorrea resulting in poo in my underpants which I then had had to dispose of in the bin.  Even more negative is the fact that everything we have brought is bloody beige.

At one point one of the camp site guards told us to walk with him to see a hippo, Kanyo had strictly told us not to go beyond the toilets as he lost one of his passengers on a previous trip who disobeyed the instructions not to go beyond the toilets, the hippo killed her and it is a known fact that the hippo is the biggest killer in Africa.

Needless to say it was a late night and at about 3.30 we went to bed in the tent, drunk thinking that was a good way to deal with the runs. It never really is going to be the answer is it?
Slideshow Report as Spam


farknash on

first 'dirty pants' incident only 4 days in. good skills. good skills, indeed.

nice lion, btw

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: