Amazon Pampas Tour - Day 3

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Saturday, January 8, 2011

I woke up feeling a little bit worse for wear, it was 5am and Victor was at our door seeing if we wanted to watch sunrise. As the sun had appeared to already have started and it was raining quite heavily (nothing to do with a hangover from the ring of fire drinking games you understand), the lovely lady E decided to go it alone and left me in bed.  When she arrived back at 07:30 it turned out they missed the sunrise, she had fallen over in the boat still caked in mud from last night's sunset bar, however had got a fantastic picture of a pink dolphin (this actually turned out to be a picture of a brown tree but hey I was being lazy).

Breakfast was fabulous again, with pancakes, fruit and cheese pastry type things. The food here has been great especially considering the 45 price tag for 3 days with accommodation included. After breakfast we were off to start our morning piranha fishing. After yesterdays (nearly) catching two but just failing to get them in the boat, we were both excited, so in next to know time we had our raw beef on the hook of a hand line and the lines in the water.

With a few nibbles but nothing of any substance Victor suggested we move on to a better place, "more fish, piiiiirrrrraaaahhhna" we would scream in his excitable and fun manner. We moved to a second spot and proceeded to feed the fish the meat from our hooks without hooking anything, well I say that but Jennifer one of the Dutch girls caught a sardine and a catfish while the rest of us just struggled. About an hour later we all got frustrated and victor made us promise not to tell anyone his secret place, “pirrrr hhhhaaaanna”. His secret place was right outside one of the lodging places so I doubt it was anyone’s secret however “please no complain about guide, I try my best, I do everything, no complain to company please”. So amusing, but a disturbing amount of paranoia.

So this morning’s activities were fun and different, but we drew a blank at the piranha fishing, still we saw some great things like the pink river dolphins again. We headed back for lunch at 11am which again was amazing and enough to feed double the number of people before leaving to head back on the hour and a half boat trip to meet the Jeeps to head back to Rurrenabaque. The boat trip was very hot and very sunny and with all our backpacks away and packed in the tarpaulin the group had no sun cream so decided to man it out.

We saw again lots of the great wildlife this area that Amazonia is famous for and it truly is a beautiful place. When we arrived we were overjoyed to find a different jeep, this time a land cruiser, we did not at the time realise that the guy had brought the wrong car, it didn’t fit us in. We ended up with 11 people in a land cruiser for three hours of seriously bumpy terrain in a very hot van, being very cramped. The time dragged to say the least and by the time we all piled out we realised just how sunburnt we all were. Also the windows were obviously open and we did get lots of mud through the windows from passing lorries to add to the torment. Oh yes the highlight for most people was the fact an Aussie guy fell asleep next to me, as he started to drool rather excessively the wind caught is and streaked it across on to my face and it clung to both our faces, while we were still trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Everyone who saw it was in hysterics, I did not find it particularly funny and the other guy felt humiliated. Still when that is my highlight of a 3 hours drive it isn’t particularly great.

We landed back in Rurrenabaque at 4pm said our goodbyes and headed off to try and find a jungle trip for tomorrow that guarantees we will not miss our flight back to La Paz. That would really, really bugger us up as we have a couple of expensive flights coming up (as part of our South American Air Pass we invested in. It really seems things have been against us with travel recently so are paranoid about not being able to make our connections.

We finally made our booking with Dolphin tours, the guide doesn’t speak English but she telephoned the airline and guaranteed we would make the flight. I told her I was flying home from La Paz and if I missed my flight my Mother would kill me first then hunt her down and kill her. She didn’t know how to take that but she got the message the flight was pretty god damn important.

We headed back to the toucan and got a twin room for a change updated the blog, cleared the memory cards, charged the camera batteries so we were ready to go tomorrow. Obviously we then headed for happy hour at the Mosqquito Bar (really do bars called that sound appealing) for happy hour and a bite to eat before an early night.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: