Cant go out today cos I havnt got a stitch to wear

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Bolivia  ,
Saturday, December 18, 2010

We woke up still full of a cold and flulike symptoms thankfully we had a great excuse for a day in. After what seems like weeks we finally have the opportunity to do some washing again. As we got the washing ready (which for me at least was every item of clothing bar a tiny pair of shorts and my coat) we started to plan out just how much or little we could get done before Christmas, we had been hoping to get into the Amazon but as we haven't started taking any malaria pills we decided we would only do this when we had pills in hand.

The smell of the three bags of laundry was to be fair extremely repulsive and when we dropped the bags in reception the guy swerved like he was dodging a punch, in my flip flops short shorts and coat we headed out coughing and spluttering for a quick walk. Being a weekend none of the tour operators were open yet (again we had no concept of what day it was) however it was clearly a day for weddings, they were fantastic but we didn’t have the camera so no pics I’m afraid. The brides and grooms were in normal suits and dresses but the Cholitas and local men dressed smart but very traditionally. There was about 100 times more confetti than a wedding in the UK bucket fulls of the stuff being thrown all over everyone. Then a 4 or 5 piece band would start to play just below the steps of the church all dressed in red outfits and sombreros, the party then started in the road immediately outside the church with everyone dancing and still throwing lots of confetti. It was a great spectacle.

Our walk took us past a shoe shop and the realisation that I stank out the whole bus on the way back from the worlds most dangerous road and my socks are almost nuclear I decided to have a quick look for a pair of trainers, sure enough for 6 I got a great pair of plastic trainers. This gives another none smelly option to my flip flops while it is a bit colder.  We wandered around a few chemists looking for malaria tablets and cures for our colds, coughs  and all the other things that seem to be wrong with us. More researching project than an attempt to buy but we did get some tablets for a cough and cold. We headed back to the room as the looks I was getting in particular were bizarre. In Bolivia I am getting stared at a lot due to the beard, they don’t like them here apparently but add that to a perverse outfit and we are on a loser.

We settled in and started watching a quick film and some nonsense on the cable tv it was turd but in English. I also spent a good hour or two watching bull fighting live from Mexico, I wanted the bull to win but every time it got killed after being tortured for about 30 minutes, one fight in particular the matador couldn’t get his sword in properly and after about 10 attempts of stabbing the bull it wouldn’t die and someone else had to come and put a knife through its scull. It’s fair to say it’s not my ideal sport. We also both managed to skype home and see how things are going. We had a sleep but still didn’t feel too much better. The day passed fairly quickly but I was not feeling any better at all, my head hurt and I was just feeling worn out. In sympathy Erica planned a night out behind my back with Will and Joanna and a meet for 19:30 at an English bar called Olivers Travels. By 19:00 we still had not got sight of our clothes and it was a little concerning however after a quick chase Lady E returned with a full wardrobe (hardly), so donning the usual clothes we headed out to meet the guys.

Amazingly after a few paracetamol and a few pints I felt fine again. Drinking at altitude is odd you can get drunk so easily. We had quite a few to drink and a steak restaurant later on we had a couple of bottles of wine and a mixed grill. We had a steak each, some type of burger, some more llama and some kebabs it was great but as normal we hadn’t eaten since about 08:00am so we were due a good feed. We got back at after midnight and I was dead on my feet, making Erica promise never to organise a night out behind my back when I’m not well.  Erica edit:  Hardly behind your back Andrew you were in the same room and when have I ever been able been able to hold you back from a pint and a meat kebab?
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: