The real Crocodile Dundee experience

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Indonesia  , Aceh,
Sunday, August 29, 2010

We got up at 7.30am and made sure that we both had pineapple porridge for our breakfast to give us some energy. We packed everything that we thought we might need for the next two days and met Thomas, Ewa, Graeme and the rest of the gang, two Chilean guys, two German girls and a Dutch girl at 9am.  The trek was hardcore to start, we began to climb a fairly steep path up in to the jungle firstly passing through rubber plantations then we came to the boundary of the jungle where the vegetation became a lot more dense and difficult to pass.  It wasn't long before we saw some Thomas leaf monkeys which had young and then an Orang-utan appeared which was unbelievable it just hung there looking at us as intrigued by us as we were of it.

We carried on walking and saw a snake wound round a branch which was so brightly coloured it almost glowed.  Soon we were coming across more and more Orang-utans some with young others without and Gibbons too that are apparently not keen on coming too close.  One called Jackie even walked along side us for a while with her baby swinging underneath her which was so touching.  After reaching the top of another very steep hill which we had to scramble up we stopped for lunch in a clearing and had Nasi goring served in a banana leaf it tasted so good out there in the jungle we then had the most delicious fruit, bananas, lychees, passion fruit and pineapple.  Nobody was going hungry on this trip.

After lunch we saw even more Orang-utans including Mina who as we didn’t have a very good position i.e we were too close we couldn’t hang around for long in her company.  We did get to spend a while with another female who is apparently really gentle and is the most photogenic.  In fact the guide told us that if you see a picture of a Sumatran Orang-utan it is probably her.  After another fruit stop we came across another Orang-utan which could smell the tangerine in Ewa’s bag and went to grab it holding on tightly.  In the end Ewa got to hold on though and the Orang-utan gave up.

We climbed down a very steep ravine and finally arrived at our camp for the night.  Two of the helpers were already there and had set up the tent and were well under way cooking our evening meal.  It turned out that we were all sleeping in the same long tunnel tent we hadn’t known what to expect but it was going to be cosier than expected – who would have thought that we would be sleeping with the people we had met the evening before!  Before dinner we all went for a swim at the waterfall a short walk and climb from the camp.  It really was a beautiful setting and well worth the hard work getting there.  We did have a monitor lizard roaming around camp too that was quite unsettling.  We had a feast of chicken curry, vegetable curry, rice and soya beans for dinner all sat together in the tent as it had started to rain – what did we expect it was the rain forest!

After dinner it stopped raining so we all sat outside and played a few games which were fun and rather embarrassingly I was one of the last to work out the answer to some of the games. Doh!  We also had to take part in a Eurovision type contest singing songs from our respective countries – Chile won with a fantastic rendition of some traditional song.  Thomas really did keep us entertained he was a great host.  He told us a hilarious account of his first trip out of the jungle to Denmark to see his brother and sister in law, it was a real Crocodile Dundee story. 

Apparently amongst other things he told us that on the day he hadn’t eaten anything before his first ever flight as he didn’t want to need the toilet as he thought that as there was no hole in the bottom of a plane that meant that there was no toilet facilities.  Also he had thought his brother a millionaire when he arrived at his house to find out that when you turned the tap one way you got cold water and the other hot.  He also got addicted to vacuuming and would throw things on the floor in front of the Hoover to see things disappear.  We all went to bed under the stars worn out and happy but worried that if any of us needed the loo in the night we might be meeting the monitor lizard again.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Post your own travel photos for friends and family More Pictures

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: