Hills, Thrills and Spills

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Indonesia  , Bali,
Tuesday, August 24, 2010

We got up at about 8am, grabbed the camera and set off up Trawangan Hill. We followed the signs from the village leading 'To the hill' and found a long set of concrete steps heading upwards then disappearing from view.  The steps snaked all the way up to the power station at the hill top then we picked up some dusty paths to find a clearing which gave us a good vantage point.  We could see the whole of Gili Meno and just the tip of Gili Air sticking out in to the sea.  Walking over to the other side the surf was huge and rolling it was a beautiful sight.  We spent about half an hour up there taking our last pictures and then made our way back down the same way we had come and back home for breakfast.

We ate our last omelette on toast said our goodbyes to the lovely owners and their son and went to catch the boat back to Bali.  Now we had found it interesting that when we booked the boat back the agent had told us that they would endeavour to stick to the departure time of 11am but could not guarantee it.  He was quite adamant in telling us this so it came as no surprise when the small gathering group were told that the boat had broken down and was due at about 1pm.  Having checked out of our hut we couldn’t go back there so instead of sitting on a plastic chair on the beach we got a table at one of the dive schools and bought a card to use their WIFI.  We spent 40 minutes trying to get it to work and accept the code on the card but ended up getting really frustrated with it so Andrew went back to the office and demanded a refund.

Instead we spent the next few hours in an internet cafe continuing to download some of the films that we had decided that we wanted for the van in Australia.  I kept an eye out for our boat arriving but 1pm came and went without any sign of the stricken vessel.  Finally at about 2pm it arrived and we managed to get a comfy seat (not one of the fold up aisle ones or the roof).  Although the sea appeared calm it was still a really choppy crossing but we arrived back at Padang Bay in one piece and without feeling too sick, we had however refused the offer of sitting upstairs on the roof.  Our bags were unloaded and we were shepherded towards 3 awaiting cars waiting to take us back to Kuta.

We got in the back and were joined by another 3 passengers and the driver took a shine to the girl in the front seat and spent the whole journey driving like a maniac obviously trying to impress her which meant a more uncomfortable journey than the boat.  They are working on a lot of the roads between Padang Bay and Kuta at the moment so regularly we had to cross over sides of the highway to face oncoming traffic, scary enough but with a driver more concerned about what was going on in his trousers as opposed to the road it was literally terrifying. We arrived in Kuta at about 5pm with nowhere to stay so we quickly started our hunt for a hotel with a pool and WIFI.  This search became very difficult with hotel after hotel in our price range telling us that they didn’t have WIFI available, so we trudged around our rucksacks feeling heavier and heavier all the time.  Finally after a lot of searching we found Fat Yogi on Poppies 1(very appropriate we thought) which had a lovely pool, WIFI in the rooms, air conditioning and all for 250,000 Rupiah a night which we couldn’t grumble at.

We found a cheap little Italian eatery across from the hotel where we had Babi Kecap (soy pork) and deep fried calamari for less than a pound each – oh what joy to be back to cheap prices.  It actually felt good to be back even though this time being on Poppies 1 it felt almost like a different place.  Lured by the promise of cheap beer we then went on to a local bar which only when we had been there for 5minutes and ordered our drinks did we realise was full of older western men and a lot of very dressed up local women who would check everyone out who walked in the place.  We spent a couple of hours just watching drinks after drinks being bought for these women (even by the bar staff) so I’m not sure if they were ‘regulars’ who brought the men in or just on the payroll.

We went back to the hotel and the luxury of our air conditioning and I had a relaxing bath which wasn’t salt water which was lovely, even a flush on the toilet instead of a pan and bucket – we were really being spoiled this time.  We also managed to start downloading some more films (our favourite easy watch stuff like Good Will Hunting, Dirty Dancing and Ghost) as we had WIFI in our room and we could leave it on all night as we slept.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: