Andrew has some trouble at the border

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Cheryl & Siong's house

Flag of Singapore  ,
Friday, August 6, 2010

We woke up before the alarm went off and it was still dark outside. Walking around Kuala Lumpur before 7am was fascinating, we saw a whole different side to the place – it was so serene.  We caught the metro to the bus station and went in search of the old lady in the red blazer and the walkie- talkie who had sold us the bus tickets and guaranteed us that she would be around this morning to tell us which bus we needed to get on.  Guess what?  No red blazer lady in sight!  Fortunately another random man could see our confusion and assisted us by showing us to a bus that had absolutely nothing to do with the ticket that we had in our hand and wasn't even the same company.  Despite all this we were ushered on to the bus and told that we could sit anywhere.  To be honest it was cold and it was going to Singapore so that was all that mattered to us.

I settled myself in to writing some blog (Andrew Edit - Complete Lies she only started doing the blog again in Bali hence we are so far behind) to give Andrew a bit of a break from it (he secretly loves it but wanted to make me suffer a bit I think (Andrew Edit - The words shit and bull spring to mind)) it just takes me so much longer than him to remember everything and get it down in some coherent form (that my dear is called intelligence).  So we set off, the bus half empty which meant we could stretch out and watched the big city get left behind.  After a couple of hours of me typing away and Andrew smugly singing along to the I-Pod we stopped at a road side trailer for refreshments.  I was told to go on the rampage there while Andrew went to the loo as we hadn’t had any breakfast and it was getting on for brunch (yes our one meal a day system has gone slightly by the by).  I went a bit mad buying iced coffee, coke, burgers, hotdogs, hula hoops (the Malaysian equivalent) and peanut brittle (my favourite sweet here).  We had a feast then felt sick.

After another hour we arrived at the Malaysian border Jonah Bahru, where we had to get off the bus without our bags and go through immigration.  The system was really great but you did have to remember vaguely what the bus that you were on looked like as after you came out of the building there was a sea of coaches – I just remembered that ours had the number 35 in the window.  We found it ok but the girl sat behind us turned up after about 10 minutes in a bit of a panic as she’d got lost.  We got back on the bus and drove through in to no-mans land then after ten minutes had to get back off, this time with all our bags to go through Singapore immigration.  I had no problem getting through, the lady only asked me what colour the coach was that we had come in on, to which I confidently replied blue and was stamped in to the country.  Andrew on the other hand was asked a few questions, however I’m not surprised as I overheard him respond to the question "where are you staying in Singapore?" with Nasi Goreng! (the famous Malaysian fried rice dish).  I nearly wet myself on the spot. (Andrew Edit - I would doubt this we dont call ourselves Hear no Evil See no Evil for nothing Erica is hear no evil, I did however get a little flustered as I got a pretty rough time at the border but I was looking and smelling quite frankly like a tramp).

Finally the imbecile (Andrew Edit - Nice) that I call my better half was allowed in to Singapore and we headed back to the bus to continue our journey to the MRT (metro) terminal.  It was here that I realised why I was never very good at the Krypton Factor observation round, the bus was red and yellow!  Ok so we are both retards.  It took about fifteen minutes for us to get to the MRT and we got some Singapore Dollars from the ATM and then followed Cheryl and Siong’s (we found out after mainly Siong’s) excellent directions to their place in Lorong Chuan (sounds a lot like Nasi Goreng doesn’t it).  We got off at the right stop and noticed how immaculate Singapore really is, you read all about the infamous no chewing gum law and everything else but it really is true there was barely a leaf on the pavement.  A lady even approached us after seeing us staring at the map of the neighbourhood and told us exactly where we needed to go.  So lovely.

We got to the apartment which was in a beautiful gated community with a pool and found Cheryl and Qian Ying ready to go to the pool for a swim.  We dumped our bags and decided that we should all go and we could catch up with Cheryl while Qian Ying played.  It was so lovely to see Cheryl and meet Qian Ying who greeted us with an adorable “Auntie, Uncle!” like we had met so many times before, Siong was at work so we just sat by the pool and chatted away.  Andrew jumped in at one point and Qian Ying was thrilled and started a game of pour water over Uncle, over and over and over again.  It was hilarious (Andrew Edit - For the women it was anyway).  When he tried to get out she stole his t-shirt from the side of the pool and tried to throw it in so he wouldn’t get out. (Andrew edit - I managed to catch it before it soaked through though).

We had some delicious dim sum and pork char sui at the local eatery, apparently most complex’s have them and then took Qian Ying to drama class.  The three of us then went back to the apartment to chill.  Qian Ying then had ballet to go to, what an amazing social diary this little girl has, so the three of us went for coffee’s and waited for her while looking around the shops.  Wow, it is so obvious that there is a lot of money here by just looking at the shops, so many designer names and strangely enough grand piano shops!  Andrew and I were mesmerised by them, we just wished we could play.  We headed home at about 10pm (After an iced coffee which was so strong it had us buzzing our faces off) and had a beer with Cheryl and waited for Siong to finish work, which I think was about 1.30am at which point we carried on chatting and I think we eventually got to bed at about 4am. (Andrew edit - It was great to catch up and you know your good friends when you slip straight into the old regime of cheezy music and general chit chat that we did oh so often in sunny Salford).
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: