Doughnut kebabs for breakfast, now we're talking

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Malaysia  , Wilayah Persekutuan,
Thursday, August 5, 2010

We left the hostel at 8.00am to see if we could get two of the 1000 tickets that are given out free every day to go up to the observation deck at the Petronas Towers. It was a long shot, we didn't want to be stood in a queue for hours but we had heard that sometimes there are tickets left even as late as 10am.  We got to the metro station, bought our tickets and hearing at the bottom of the stairs that there was a train on the platform we legged it up there two at a time.  The train that was in was packed with people hanging out of the door so I said that we would leave it and wait for the next.  After 5 minutes the train was still there and a couple of people had got off so we decided to push our way on.  After another 5 minutes an announcement was made saying that the train was delayed and would be travelling slower between the stations too when it finally got going.  So much for our tickets.  Oh well.  The train left another ten minutes later and we got to the Towers at about 9am to be met by a board that said that they had given out all the tickets for the day.

We decided to make the best of it and go for breakfast while we were here.  We found the supermarket, including funnily enough the 'UK section’ stocking a whole shelf of Heinz baked beans, along with staples like Chicken Chasseur packet mix, salad cream, bread mix and Bisto.  Andrew also loitered around the wine section wondering whether or not to buy some gin for 2 pounds.  We got some strawberry yoghurt and then visited the ‘fresh food’ counter Andrew got a Nasi Goreng rice box (fried rice with fish) and Satay chicken stick wrapped in banana leaf, myself being the classy one went for a jam doughnut and a doughnut kebab – well I miss Gregg’s (not my brother but the bakery). (Andrew edit - Well i miss Gregg more than Greggs but thats your sister for you mate).

Our last stop on our sightseeing tour was ‘Little India’ a riotous place full of gold shops and sari shops.  As it was quite early a lot of the stalls were just opening up but the Bollywood music was already being played full blast.  We wandered down JI Masjid, and looked around the markets mostly which appeared to be selling head scarves and fabric.   It was all brightly coloured clothes and the pungent aroma of curry filling the streets.  It took me all my effort to keep Andrew from ordering a Roti Canai or three.  Sensing rain in the air we went back to the hostel to shelter and no sooner did we get back to our room than the heavens opened and the streets were deluged.  We took the opportunity to do a bit more planning with our great internet service then went back to the food court for some more dumplings and roast pork with rice.  We got back and watched Michael Jackson’s ‘This Is It’ (which we enjoyed to be honest) before we packed up and set the alarm for moving on to Singapore to harass Cheryl and Siong, our old housemates for a while. (Andrew Edit - Perhaps the most poinent bit of Jacko was his bit on deforestation before Earth Song it really hit a note with me having seen more huge scale deforestation in Taman Nagara where the oldest rainforest in the world is being anailated to be replaced far more sparsly with palm trees to make palm oil with).

We were so looking forward to seeing them as it had been almost 2 years since we last saw them and they moved to Singapore.  They had also got married in the meantime and we couldn’t make the wedding so we had loads to catch up on over a few Chang’s or ten.  Also Siong’s daughter, Qien Ying had moved in with them in their new place so we were dying to meet her too having heard lots about her.  A long awaited reunion was on the cards.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: