Are old ladies with walkie-talkies trustworthy

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Grocers Inn

Flag of Malaysia  , Wilayah Persekutuan,
Wednesday, August 4, 2010

We spent a lazy morning in bed on the lap top writing emails to different campervan companies in Australia and catching up with our friends Sonja and Col who we met on our Halong Bay trip in Vietnam. They had kindly offered us a bed for a few nights in Cairns if we were up that way and as it turns out we are picking up our Wicked campervan from there so we got in touch, maybe they are eating their words now!   We emerged from our hostel at about lunch time and went on the hunt for the bus station to buy our bus tickets to Singapore.  What we found when we arrived at what seemed to be the place on the map was a building site. Shit.  A bit stuck for any ideas we asked a driver who was parked up on the hard shoulder and had a bus load of Muslim ladies – he told Andrew that it was closed, no kidding, and that the other bus station was a tube ride away.   We put it to the back of our minds and started our short tour of the city in the colonial district at Merdeka Square which is where independence was announced in 1957.  We relished the shade provided by a pergola and a fountain and watched children playing, umbrella's shading them, on the manicured lawns.  The square is surrounded by beautiful buildings in varying architectural style such as the National History Museum, the National Textile Museum and City Point all of which we gave a miss going inside. 

Next we stumbled upon Central Market which is home to countless stalls selling local handicrafts in an art deco building.  We had a look around but resisted buying anything.  We then headed over to the 'Golden Triangle’ district on the underground home to the most well known silhouette in Kuala Lumper, The Petronas Towers, the tallest building in the world until Taipei 101 was constructed in 2004, then Dubai in 2010.   When we came out of the subway we just stared in to the sky looking up for the building mystified that we couldn’t see it only to find that we were stood in the shadow of it and they were looming above us.  Stupid!  A little bird told us that the building of the towers was managed by two different teams, one per tower and it became a race to see who could finish their tower first.  As the deadline was looming one team looked to be ahead only having to complete the nose cone, and pinnacle, of their tower so went home for the night.  The next day they were horrified to find that the other team had constructed their nose cone in the building previously and had fitted it overnight and completed their tower, thus winning the competition.....thanks for that information Rorie.

We took some pictures of the towers which I thought were really impressive though Andrew thinks otherwise and decided to escape from the sun and watch a film as it’s been so long since we have done that, in the cinema in the KLCC shopping centre attached to the towers.  With little to choose from we ended up watching Salt with Angelina Jolie and really enjoyed it despite almost getting pneumonia from the air conditioning it was that cold. I wrapped Andrew up in my scarf but he wriggled out of it, image conscious even in the dark!  Back outside we asked a tour guide about the bus station who told us that it was at a place called Bukit Jalil and that we could get there on the tube.  We decided to just go and get the tickets as we didn’t want to take any chances.  We got to Bukit Jalil which I assume is the home of the KL Stadium to absolute carnage.  We were expecting a single counter to buy tickets but instead there was a huge tent with umpteen tiny desks, all touts, selling the same tickets.  As soon as we got in the tent we were set upon by three people with walkie-talkies asking us where we were going.  Somehow an older woman decided that she liked us or that we were easy meat (of course the latter) and followed us around relentlessly hounding us.  In the end she took us to two counters one manned where they didn’t have the time bus we wanted the second unmanned which did.  We asked to book with them wondering where the staff member was, at which point she took a ticket pad out of her own pocket scribbled something on two tickets and took our money telling us to find her on Friday so she could tell us which bus we were on.  Hmmm....sounds ropey I know, that’s what we were thinking but we let it go and hoped for the best.

On our way back to China town we got off the metro at Masjid Jamek a beautiful mosque in the centre of the city built in 1907 again we didn’t go inside we are still suffering from temple lash but we took some pictures and walked around the perimeter.

We had a beer at our cafe and then went to the Chinese Food Court , essentially a run of street stalls in China town for tea.  We had dumplings and roast pork noodles to share which were delicious and Andrew nearly got covered in Chilli sauce when he knocked over his entire pot of sauce all over the table – Vic have you got a spare bib of Ellie’s that you could send me for him, he does this all the time?  With full and contented stomachs we went to bed, hoping that we had a hope in hell of getting to Singapore on Friday.
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: