Going Ape on Monkey Juice

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Lemon Grass

Flag of Malaysia  , Terengganu,
Friday, July 30, 2010

I woke to the sound of engines and after having a quick look off the balcony realised it was 08:00 and the first boats had started to arrive with all the new tourists on board. I left Erica in bed threw on some clothes and sprinted down the hill to the beach to try to get some cheaper accommodation for the night. I tried the cheapest place first at 7 it was more our price range but they only had one left and he said it would be gone within 30 minutes. I had a quick look and after making bold value based decisions previously decided the Lady may not lower her standards to this. It was fairly rough to say the least, worse than any other beach hut we have seen. I asked at the place next door who also said they had 1 room and it would be gone soon. I sprinted back up the hill and burst into the room completely out of breath "quick wake up... got to see room.... quick run", Erica rolled over and explained it was 08:15 and to behave so I had to drag her out of bed much to her annoyance. She took one look at the 7 a night and responded “absolutely not” so we ended up having to fork out about 12 but with a big balcony, a hammock on our balcony and views of a lovely garden it was probably worth the extra money (Erica will have to go without food for another few days if she keeps spending at this rate). We went and lay on the beach, had a swim and basically spent the whole day relaxing it was lovely and we could handle four or 5 days of this no problem. We had enough money for cheap accommodation and basic rations for 5 days but the accommodation was far more than we had allowed for so we will probably only be able to stop for four days.

We had a quick breako and Malay Coffee with the condensed milk at the bottom, E had sausage (beef) and egg and I had Roti Canai which was a lovely start to the day. The table servers from the night before were now dressed as men again but still very feminine to say the least.

At about 4pm we walked back up to the hut and were met by a monitor lizard who did not want to move out of the way at about 1m from him he finally saw us and ran off. We listened to music and read in the hammock until the mozzies started to come out. It was odd because they clearly like Dire Straits Romeo and Juliet when we paused the music to fight back with more coils they disappeared then when we pressed play again thinking we were safe they all came back. Dire Bloody Straits indeed.

We decided to go back to the restaurant again for tea but to try the “Orang utan” a local spirit. At 20 Ringgit per half bottle (4) it was still expensive but better Value than the beer. We then saw a couple from our boat ride from the mainland, Pasqual and Karl from Belgium, the day before who were dropped off on another island and had given us some good advice about where to stay. We shouted over and they took a seat and also decided to sample the Orang Utan with us. Hence we got stuck in and bought several more bottles while having a good laugh with our new friends. We ended up moving on to one of the bars, the Black Tip beach bar, and the laid back party scene. Everyone else was also drinking Orangutan “AKA monkey juice” so we just continued buying more and more. We sat with a couple of girls from Newcastle and London and three local guys who just wanted to dance, even with me. Pasqual and Karl left to get a water taxi at 23:30 before the rates quadrupled to go back to their island. We continued to talk rubbish with our head dresses on (Erica stole some pieces from a man's grass skirt to make us all headdresses). When asking where the toilets were “there’s one over there (pointing to the sea) and one over there (pointing to the jungle)” we decided to use the one back at our chalet as it was lit up and we didn’t want to meet a monitor lizard in the long grass of the jungle.

We aren’t sure what time it was when we got to bed or how much we drank but we remember a big fight between two local chaps which ended in bottles being smashed and a right violent set to but the dancing soon resumed as if nothing had happened. It had been a great night.
Slideshow Report as Spam


G and G on

This sounds like a performance of the Ladyboys of Bancock.......however we're unsurprised by Lady E's unability to drop her standards to slum levels.......we just hope we can make the standard when you come to stay when you get back...lol

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: