The quest to get to Hong Kong

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Stevie T's Gaff

Flag of China  ,
Monday, May 10, 2010

Rorie (well actually all of us) was awoken by the 'Birthday Brass Band' playing right outside our dorm room window. It had actually had nothing to do with us, was highly annoying, and served to intensify all of our hangovers, but letting Rorie think that it was in his honour made it remotely amusing.

Our taxi to the train station was arriving at 9am so we dragged all our bags downstairs and waited in the courtyard for the driver. After a longer than expected taxi ride we got to the train station and boarded our bullet train back to Shanghai for our flight to Guangzhou. None of us were feeling the best in one way or another so the journey was quite a subdued one. We got back to Shanghai in under 2 hours.

From the train station we got a taxi to the airport which only took about 20 minutes.  The airport was magnificent and the domestic departure terminal was practically deserted.  We checked in our baggage (it was a relief to get rid of it for a while) and grabbed a Subway while Rorie gave it a miss and went to the gate seats to have a sleep. We joined him soon after and were told that our flight was delayed for 2 hours due to bad weather conditions at the other airport. I decided to get my head down too and make the most of it.
Finally we boarded the Shanghai Airways flight and were all surprised when we were treated to free belly wash and an in flight meal.  To be honest I just ate two pieces of melon and had about 4 Sprites while Andrew got stuck back in to the beer and both mine and his food.  It was a little odd, we had a pressed meat and cheese slice, a vacuum packed sachet of spicy vegetables, a couple of cherry tomatoes, a piece of melon, beef with noodles and a packet of peanuts.  We arrived in Guangzhou at about 7.30pm.

From the airport we got another taxi to the train station where we could get a fast train direct to Hong Kong.  Rorie was adamant that we would be in Hong Kong on his 28th birthday.  As we were so much later than expected we had to hunt for a public telephone to try to get hold of Stevie T, a friend of Andrews who he used to work with some 10 years ago who now rather handily for us lives in Hong Kong and even better had agreed to put us up for a while (or should that be put up with us) to tell him what time we would be arriving as he was going to meet us at the station.  It was a farce but we eventually got to speak to him after a search for a phone took us about 20 minutes.

In the meantime we presented Rorie, who was now feeling much better, with his birthday earrings, I had fashioned them from some red tassley things, and we insisted that they were to be worn for the rest of the day.  I'm sure that he was thrilled with them.  I slept the whole way to Hong Kong as we had reclinable seats and no one sat behind us.

We got through passport control quickly in Hong Kong and collected our luggage then found Steve sat on a bench waiting for us, he hadn't changed a bit in 10 years.  We got some Hong Kong Dollars from the cash point as it was a totally new currency for us and said our goodbyes to Rorie and Emer - but we were going to be seeing them tomorrow so not so much of a wrench, ha.  We got a taxi (our how manyeth of the day?) over to Steve and Lin's apartment on Lantau.  OH MY GOD!  We had arrived in Heaven. 

The complex looked gorgeous even in the dark and we took a lift up to the 55th floor.  The kids were there to greet us when we arrived Ryan 5, Jasmine 3 and Sophie 2 months, the older two were clearly unsure about these two hobo's.  Still we had a cup of tea while Steve showed us around then we climbed in to bed and watched the planes taking off over the sea from our bedroom window and drifted off to sleep.

Happy Birthdays to Dave and Cheryl, have a lovely day xxx
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: