Alvida India - it's been...... interesting

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Tiananmen Sunrise Hostel

Flag of China  ,
Saturday, April 17, 2010

The day began at 6am as I had a date with Travelpod to get some more blogging done, so I left Andrew in bed (for a change) and spent an hour on the internet asking the man to give him an alarm call at 7am.  The taxi collected us and it was quite strange to feel that we were finally leaving this frenetic city and this wildly diverse country.  We watched aghast at a man on a camel travelling up the side of the carriageway - only in India!  We arrived at the airport and discovered that the flight had been brought forward to 9.15am (an hour and a half earlier) so we hot footed it through security and tried to find something to spend the last of our Rupees on.  Of course Andrew went straight over to the duty free gin, which was still the equivalent of 10 pounds, but when we got to the till they only took US Dollars so that plan was scuppered.  We then found a little kiosk (the only other shop), which sold books and managed to get a huge reduction on two books as we said we would not need a receipt if he would take what Rupees we had left, the tricks of the trade.  With new books in hand and a Subway in our belly (to line the stomch) we were ready to board the flight of iniquity once more.......

It didn't disappoint.  The drink trolley was out quicker than the last time. " A coke and a red wine for me, a beer and a red wine for him please".  The in flight entertainment was Guy Richie's Sherlock Holmes and Thunderball which we enjoyed whilst in a red wine stupor.  Towards the end of the flight all hell broke loose, there were A LOT of drunks who were all stood up having raucous conversations in large groups in the aisle, the drinks trolley (still out) flew down the aisle and smacked in to one of the cabin crew, people had started to be rationed to one drink at a time which did not go down well with a turbaned Sikh man in the seat in front of us, who was incidentaly well on his way, he started ranting in Hindi at the guy who had refused him two bottles of red wine.

There was a woman from Togo sat in the window seat on our row who couldn't speak any English so we filled her arrival card in for her, her passport was a diplomatic one and we were met at passport control by some the Ambassador who had come to collect her.  She had told him that we had helped her and we promptly received an invite to the consulate.  It was soooooooo nice to be back in Beijing.  Like the relief of the first services clean toilet that you come to after a weekend at Glastonbury.  We negotiated the subway to the hostel and made our way back to our old stomping ground.  This time as it was peak season we had booked a dorm room and we thought that we were on our own for a while....then at 11pm BOSCO arrived soon followed by Meagan and Kennedy (2 mad Americans).  We had taken a couple of beers to bed and got chatting to the Serbian Australian madman (self styled party dude) then decided that we would all get ourselves on down to 'Bar Street' (yes, you guessed it a street full of bars).  Meagan and Kennedy had just endured a 24 hour trip from South Korea with a ballroom dancing group on their they decided to opt out.

We managed to find a taxi and tried to explain where we would like to go, the only word he seemed to understand was 'nightclub', hence we ended up at an extortionate nightclub (we didn't go in, it was 12 pounds entry), we just wandered around outside trying to find someone who spoke English who could explain to a taxi driver where we wanted to go.  We finally managed it and got to the neon beacon that was Bar Street.  The first bar we went in, as the beer was cheap, there was a male pole dancer up on stage mid routine, ha.  After a while we decided to move on and ended up in a karaoke bar where we all murdered our way through their limited anthology of western hits.  We think it was about about 3.30am when we got back to the hostel, Andrew went to the toilet and Bosco and I went back to the dorm.  During the night we had acquired a day glow necklace and to see Andrew walking back in to a dark room wearing it was hilarious (all you could see was a floating day glow ring), Bosco and I fell apart in to the kind of laughing that you just can't stop, priceless.      

Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: