Another bizarre day on a Goan Beach

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Sant Anton, Turtle Beach

Flag of India  , Goa,
Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Andrew was already out on the decking when I woke up, I decided that I was feeling a lot better today after the last few days, I must admit vomming off the back of a moped was a new one even on me, still we were in 'the blackpool of India' so I'm sure they had seen worse (I think that the Indian men were cheering me on).  Got up from under the mosquito netting which last night I was even more thankful for as I saw a huge cockroach on the wall of the hut just before lights out, I felt so brave as we had it totally tucked in all the way around the bed.  As this was to be our final day here on Turtle Beach, so called because turtles come here every October to lay their eggs (I would love to be here then), we decided that we would splash out and have breakfast on the beach.  Andrew had a Masalla Omelette and I had a lemon pancake as my appetite seemed to have returned (so much for losing a stone) which we enjoyed in total isolation being the only tourists on the beach. 

We spent a few hours in the factor 30 under the sunshades (the freckly one and the so white she is blue one arn't really cut out for the sun) however Andrew seems obsessed with us both developing this great 'base tan' so we can spend less on low factor suncream.  Always thinking of the budget he tells me, the more we save on the unnecessaries the more we can spend on alcohol.  Then as the two small girls and their mums had set up in the beds in front of us and the older child had decided to squat and have a poo behind her mums bed (right in front of us) we headed off to cool down in the sea  before Andrew saw his Masalla omelette again. After I'd spent a minute or two scanning the horizon for shark fins (my usual routine) we got in and the water was amazingly warm so we enjoyed messing about in the sea until the mum obviously realised what her daughter had done and brought her down to get washed, our cue to get out.  I don't know what has prompted my fear of the sea (maybe it's the fact that I see it as a part of the earth largely alien to us) and in a way I know that my fears are a little irrational (as I only ever paddle, ha), but it still freaks me out.  Give me a nice large freshwater pool ideally with a swim up bar and I am in heaven....hmmm, I forgot, the 'budget', damn. 

After a cool shower back at the huts we decided that we would take another trip on the bike to Arambol to find anywhere with air con as the midday heat is so relentless.  Took a little stroll on the beach and was acosted by a girl chucking shapes to a bit of loud trance (obviously smashed on the Fanny), who demanded to know whether we were Russian or German?  When I told her we were English she disappeared sharpish, charming!  We found a lovely spot on the beach in the shade of a tree and had a few large Kingfishers, watching so many people off their heads charging around the beach...for once it wasn't us!  Half way through our second beer a sky diver landed right in front of our table, casually gathered up his parachute, sat down at the next table and ordered a large beer, if we weren't in India I might have looked twice.

Heading back to our hut on the bike we decided to eat at the 'Seahorse' again in Morjim (a.k.a the Spider Naan establishment).  After a lovely meal of Tandoori Paneer, Mushroom Masalla, Vegetable Biryani and Garlic Naan (albeit without the spider), Andrew decided to stand full weight on a three legged dog on the way out (now that's got to be bad luck).  Took the trecherous road back, myself warning Andrew all the time about upcoming 'rumblers' in the road (he refuses to wear his 10 pound Matalan glasses that he bought especially for the trip), had our usual few beers on the decking, played a bit of Rummy and sampled the infamous Fanny (a bit Southern Comforty is the only way I can describe it) which Alex slipped us.  Well I say that I had a couple of mouthfuls before the bearded one knocked back the lot.  I've decided to sleep with the door unlocked tonight... for my own safety.           
Slideshow Report as Spam

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: