Welcome to the Punjab and Sikhism

Trip Start Feb 26, 2010
Trip End Feb 26, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Raja Nuwas

Flag of India  , Punjab,
Friday, March 26, 2010

Woke up on the train - had set an alarm to go off 1 hour before we were due to arrive - 06:30am however we sat and watched station after station go by abd eventually ended up arriving 4 hours late.

We had planned to stay at the Golden Temple itself which is free (as part of Sikhism's all inclusive nature) (Not that type of all inclusive). Due to the delay on the train the dorms were full and I think Lady E was a little relieved as there was essentially one huge bed which 20 people slept on in a free for all. This was how we proposed to live 'i.e. living and eating with the other Pilgrims however we ended up staying around the corner in a 'bearable' room (Lady E description) for about 4 pounds, but we did have a private bathroom.

Started to stuff clothes, underpants and socks into every hole in the outside wall and around the AC unit (which obviously doesn't work but we would have had to pay for it if it did). Then set off to do our first visit to the Golden temple. It really is another very special place and its difficult to do it justice in photographs.

Had a vegetable thali (wow we are back on root veg this is getting exciting). We then squeezed in with 8 other people into a 5 seat minibus and drove to the Pakistan border. A typical Indian welcome, get told different things by different people ("no queue for foreigners through that gate", "no foreigners through gate join the queue" etc etc. Ended up standing seperately Erica in a queue for women, me in a queue for men standing still in the baking heat for about 1 hour. Thankfully I seem to really get along with the Sikh's so had a good chat with the men around me. Erica just kept getting pushed in front of and stared at. The gate then opened, the women went through, then the men, so I met up with Lady E for the first time in an hour. We then joined two seperate queues again one for men one for women and did this another two times before we finally got to the border. All very frustrating in the heat and the flies all around us.

The ceremony was most definitely worth the wait though it was fantastic, starting with a little flag waving then came the audience participation before kicking off a big Indian dancing session with loads of women and kids bustin some real hot moves. The crowd were going mad and appeared to be shouting either Pro Indian or Negative Pakistan chants whenever they could. It was a real athmosphere. This all lasted for about 45 minutes and the guards ceremony lasted about 25 minutes. Lots of high kicking, shouting and stamping.

We then went out for a quick bite to eat and had Veg butter masala and Mushroom Masala which was lovely. (You can't help but notice that up in the punjab the people are a little more rotund I think its a combo of oily dryer curries and the fact that you possibly eat more as the veg just dont fill you up as much as meat.

Then headed off to bed for an early start the next day. Lots to do.
Slideshow Report as Spam


Gregg on

Gregg is wondering what the hell has happened to the fonejacker saga...........update please!!

Gregg on

Would have liked to have heard about the '20 in a bed' dorm........the mind boggles. lol.

Add Comment

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: