Last day in the Capital & off to Me-hi-co (Mexico)

Trip Start Sep 07, 2010
Trip End Mar 13, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , District of Columbia
Wednesday, December 8, 2010

This blog post is split into two days because there hasn't been much to report on over the past couple of days :)

Yesterday we woke up late and headed for the Smithsonian Zoo which was well away from the rest of the Smithsonian Museum or 'The Mall’ area. As expected many of the animals were indoors hiding away from the cold so it was quiet but it was really nice to walk through the zoo by ourselves. We really just wanted to visit the Giant Panda because I hadn’t seen one before. The Smithsonian Zoo is free and contains a number of different animals, which is quite good! After visiting the Zoo we took the train to Union Station, had some lunch and walked down to Capitol Hill, The Supreme Court and Library of the Congress. It was getting dark again so we decided to head back but first we had to look for a currency exchange place which was quite hard to find. (If you are ever in Washington DC and need a currency exchange place there is one at 1100 Pennsylvania Ave it’s called ‘Peoples Foreign Exchange’ it’s opposite the Bank of the America – who don’t do currency exchange for foreign people – on the bottom floor of a shopping centre. They have a good rate, way better than Travelex!).

We headed back to the hostel on the train, had some dinner and a few cups of tea and had an early night.

Oh yeah, one of the other guests at the Hostel found a mouse in the cupboard eating our food and then later on the next morning I found it eating my Hershey’s cookie and crème in our room!!! This hostel was not cheap and had really good reviews on tripadvisor, I’m not sure how on earth they got the reviews they did!!!

Next day we woke up late again, pack our things and headed to Ronald Regan Airport on the train. It was really easy to get the airport, in fact we got there 2 hours early. We hung around the airport until we boarded and caught the American Airlines flight via Miami. The staff weren’t particularly friendly but oh well! We arrived in Cancun just before 8.30pm and were greeted by a mariachi band at the exit playing la cucaracha, which was quite funny. Another weird hostel for the night; the sign said ‘speaks English, Spanish and Portuguese’, the lady didn’t speak a word of English, so we had to use the iPod to translate!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: