Ferry to Jordan!

Trip Start Sep 07, 2010
Trip End Mar 13, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Bedouin Camp

Flag of Jordan  ,
Sunday, October 17, 2010

Although we were forewarned to simply "write-off" the day we left Dahab we still weren't too prepared for the long day ahead of us attempting to cross the border from Egypt to Jordan. As we couldn’t drive around (entering Israel would mean we couldn’t get into Syria) we took the ferry from Nuweiba. However only the slow ferry would accommodate the truck, so the 4hour option was the only option available (rather than the fast 1hr ferry) which was scheduled to leave at 12 noon. We arrived at 8:30am to get tickets and to make our way through border control (yep we had to get their early to make sure we got through), and surprisingly everything went well ….. well everything apart from the truck axe nearly being confiscated.

It was quite weird because 95% of the passengers were all men, it was very hard to spot a women. There was a lot of waiting, first we waited on the truck, some people read books and others played a game of football in the carpark. It was around 12pm when we were shuffled onto the ferry. Again it was quite weird because we got to bypass the big queue and just walk on to the ferry!

We then waited until 4:30pm before the ferry actually departed, but we did catch a break, by being offered the “distinguished persons” room on the ferry (meant we didn’t have to slum it with the many many many locals or pay for a very small cabin).

Other members of the group had food envy as we unboxed our shreaded chicken and salad sandwich mix. It was most definitely a great idea. After lunch people either read books, played cards, took the time to catch up on their diaries or just chatted.

Dinner time came around and there was a moment where both Richard the driver and Graham had a go at the waiter because people had to wait 30+ minutes for their food and then they said there was no more food to be served.

The ferry arrived in Jordan around 8:30pm as suggested, but again we had to have paperwork and customs checks at the Jordanian side, so it was 11pm before we were back in the truck and making our way to the nights stop at the Bedouin campsite outside Aqaba. Again we were the first to get off the truck, at one stage as we were walking down the stairs we saw police officiers holding back the locals so they couldn't rush through! When we got off and looked back over our shoulders at the ferry, there were huge crowds off people on the ferry waiting to get off. We certainly felt like royality that evening.

It was actually a very nice campsite with an inviting swimming pool; however the long day and late night meant that everybody simply got sleeping bags out and slept on the sun loungers around the pool.
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: