Trip Start Dec 08, 2007
Trip End Dec 16, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Sri Lanka  ,
Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Today was the day that we had travelled all the way to Sri Lanka for. Mihiri and Om's wedding. We woke up early as we booked our sari draping for 8am. We had breakfast and then went down to the hotel salon. The ladies weren't there yet. We waited for about ten minutes with our saris, but they didn't turn up. We went to reception to see if they knew where they were, but they didn't. Instead, worried that they wouldn't turn up, we did our own hair and makeup. By the time we finished, they had arrived. They draped us in different ways, with me showing a lot of midriff and mum showing none at all and not being able to use her left arm. They redid our hair and make-up to suit our saris, with mum actually getting her hair tied up. We left for the wedding at 9:30, as Mihiri had advised.
We were nearly the first people to arrive, as 'Sri Lankan time' was different to normal time.
They tell you to arrive at the wedding at least half an hour before the bride or groom would even think about coming to the wedding, to allow people on 'Sri Lankan time' to not be late.
At last, at 10:45, the bride walked down the aisle. Mihiri looked absolutely stunning. She had a lovely cream sari, with a yellow veil. Her four bridesmaids had yellow saris and the twelve flower girls wore white dresses with yellow sashes. It was nice how well they all tied in together.
The Catholic ceremony was quite similar to Catholic ceremonies back home. I taped the whole thing, and hopefully I hid from the main camera, because I would hate for them to watch their wedding dvd to find me in the background the whole time.
We went back to Mt. Lavinia Hotel, where the reception was held with Om's family. We arrived early enough for us to pop off to our room to reapply the makeup and charge the camera.
The Empire Ballroom, where it was held was spectacular. It was massive, ad just as nice as anything back home. The food was nice, although extremely spicy. I didn't want to complain as everyone else was coping with it fine. It made me break out in a sweat, nearly!!
The cake that Mihiri and Om had was the most beautiful that mum and I had ever seen. It had a fountain on it which was illuminated in yellow and it was huge.
After the food was dancing. The bridal waltz was done wonderfully, they were so elegant. After that, everyone else danced. Harleen, one of the bridesmaids and fellow dentist, taught us some Bollywood moves, as she's naturally from India. It's pretty easy; screw the lightbulb pat the dog; among others that could not be named.
The couple went round to everyone to say hello before they left. After they left, we stayed talking to Harleen, Jane and henry until we were the last people inside. We agreed to go out for dinner together.
We had dinner at the lovely seafood restaurant that we had lunch at yesterday It was nice a the menu was different for dinner. We talked for hours, and even spotted the newlyweds eating there too. We tried to hide as not to spoil their privacy, but they spotted us. That inevitably gave mum the permission to run up and take a few photos. Dinner didn't go too late, and so we separated early as we have a busy day tomorrow!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: