Hong Kong Day 1

Trip Start Mar 30, 2007
Trip End Apr 15, 2007

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of China  ,
Tuesday, April 10, 2007

today was an interesting day. We woke up late, at around 10am. We had breakfast in the hotel which dad and Laura bought it from the nearby supermarket "wellcome" which name I think is a play on words. Either that or a bad English translation. We set out for a walk. We caught a ferry and travelled towards the other side of the lake. Mum wanted to go on the mid-level escalators, so we went on them. The mid-level escalators were a series of escalators in a row. There were about 15 in a row.
In one of the walkway in between two of the escalators, there was a small Subway where we ate lunch. We went up the remaining escalators until we got to the top. Then, we had a nice walk back down. We saw people who hung their washing out the window of their apartment windows in small washing lines just underneath their windows. I would be afraid of falling out the window every time I hung nd collected my washing. There was a zoo on the path which we went into. It wasn't your typical zoo, they had lots of weird sorts of animals there. We saw flamingos, different types of monkeys, lumers (like off Madagascar) and other animals. We walked back and decided to take a tram trip for fun as all the trams ar really short, but are double-decker. We went on the top. There weren't enough seats together, so nanna sat a few rows from the front, mum sat at the front and Madeline, Laura and Elyse sqished into two seats. I stood. After one stop the man next to Nanna left so I sat next to her. After another stop the people at the front moved so Nanna and I moved to the very front to see more. We travelled a bit before our driver ran a yellow tram light. There was a bus a little way ahead that had stopped. We were going pretty fast, but the tram had good brakes so I knew we would stop in time. We were getting closer and closer to the bus without slowing down. I still thought we could stop before we got near the bus. It wasn't until we got REALLY close that I thought "Oh my gosh...we're not going to stop, are we?" and we crashed. People fell out of their seats, people bashed their heads against the seat infront. For two or three sconds, it was silent.
Then people slowing picked themselves up. Within minutes an ambuance arrived, Police arrived and so did a camera crew. Nanna cut her finger and Madeline got a bit of whiplash.
We were lucky because there were alot of people more seriously hurt then we were, especially since I was the person closest to the bus as I was right up the front. The bus was withing two inches of my face. We got off the bus and walked away. i think that we're all still really shocked., We got back on a ferry and made our way back to the hotel. We stopped at Starbucks before we got to the hotel. We're all feeling a little dizzy now. I hit my head on the window infront, but it's only come to a headache, which is really lucky. The crash stopped all the traffic, so it's banked up for kilometres back. Maybe we'll be on TV tonight. i'll keep you posted!
We forgot to watch the tonight, so who knows if we were on the news! We just had noodles for dinner and watched the light show before going to bed. Laura and dad hit the markets for a short time
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


katemel on

Where's your Dad
Hi everyone,
Just had a look at your photos. I have seen lots of 5 girls, a few of Nanna, some of Nana & Pa, 1 or 2 of Mum walking in the background. But - wheres your Dad???? Will have to go back and look at the rest of the photos but I don't recall seeing him. Did he really go with you??? Or is he sitting at home enjoying the solitude???
Love Aunty Kate

katemel on

I apologise
I apologise - I do remember now - he went to the dentist! There were a few photos of him that day. Have started looking from today's photos back, so, you never know, I might find more of him!
Aunty Kate

katemel on

Found Him
Yes, I have found him - he was at the airport and he has popped up on the Great Wall, with the Warriors and 1 at the school (I think it was - id4) Was starting to worry about him - thought you might have lost him like you did Nana & Pa!!!! (Shame on you all!)
Tell your Dad I rang to make an appt for Nana - Janine stayed strong when I demanded to see him on the only 2 days sutible for Nana. She didn't let me push her around. Nothing like abusive patients making unreasonable demands!!!! She finally saw through the fake Irish accent and worked out who she was speaking to!!!
Hope you had an enjoyable day - I'm sure I will read about it soon!

Love (again) Aunty Kate

kovacsfamily on

hong kong
Wow, just read your entries since last day of school as we were really busy over easter weekend. Glad to hear you have had a wonderful time in Xian (eventful start - yes i'm sure u can laugh about it now...), beijing, hong kong, Your entries are very detailed and interesting i have really enjoyed reading them. It seems u were all lucky and not injured any worse in the tram crash, lucky u were sitting down and had found a seat amy (but maybe too close to the front)...Hope u recover well tonight and feel ok in the morning. look forward to reading about your next few days, (stay off the trams!!). Say hi to all the family and have lots of fun. (i have some great memories from hong kong and i'm sure u will too) Jodi, Zoli & Abby

katemel on

Crash didn't make Aussie news
Just to let you know that the crash hasn't made it to the Aussie papers (yet).

The only interesting article from your neck of the woods was about 2 poor, old, frail grandparents being left for dead in Hong Kong. Abandoned by their family in a foreign country with no way to communicate with the locals. The last time this poor couple saw their loved ones, they were heading through Hong Kong airport customs. By the time the couple found their suitcases, somehow managed to heave them off the luggage carrousel and turn around, their family had gone. The poor old soles were found going through the airport rubbish bins muttering something about "alcohol...$198...baileys...johnny...maybe they will come back for their alcohol and we will be reunited. We love them. Please come back for us" It is believed a caring (unlike their family) airport attendant came to their rescue and put them on a bus to Guangzhou.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: