Day Twenty-Six & Twenty-Seven

Trip Start Dec 17, 2011
Trip End Jan 14, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Singapore  ,
Monday, January 16, 2012

Last day in Singapore!
As our journey is coming to a close, we decided to take a bus tour around Singapore.
The tour was really interesting, as the guide was very knowledgeable.  We went past a fountain that cost $6 million to make, though wasn't all that impressive for all the money spent.  Something that was, however, were the Marina Bay Sands.  The second most expensive casino in the world, at $5.5 billion to construct, it is also the second casino in Singapore.  It is three towers standing separately. but are joined by a giant ship that sits atop them all. 
We drove though Little India, and Chinatown.  These two districts hold the cultural identity of Singapore.  Though Singapore markets itself as a great tourist destination because of its Western attractions, but at its heart, it is still an Asian community.  With 75% of the population being ethnic Chinese, and 9% ethnic Indian, the communities of Little India and Chinatown are vibrant and colourful.  Our guide says he tells people to go shopping there, rather than Orchard Street.  He says we have stores like that wherever we go at home, and Little India and Chinatown represent the 'real' Singapore.
We drove all around the city, taking about 75mins.  Singapore is a small island, only about 42km across.
After the tour, we returned back and Mum, Dad and Nanna went out for a cocktail, while the girls and I watched TV and packed the rest of our things.
We then went out for high tea.  I have never done that before, but it was a good experience.  There were three tiers of food, and there was no way I could get through it all, even without lunch.
After high tea, we packed the suitcases, and headed downstairs.
Our driver came to drop us off at the airport, and after an hour-long wait, we checked-in.
Mum and Nanna gave Dad and I their tickets for the business class lounge, and I stocked myself up with sushi and mini-pizzas.  The lounge was beautiful, spacious, and, of course, loaded with free food.  It was so much fun to go in there.
We boarded the Melbourne-bound flight and flew home.
We arrived back in Melbourne at 7:55am, and went home for a good sleep.
So, our trip has finished.  In four weeks, we conquered four continents and four time zones.  We managed jet lag four times, and experienced four different cultures.
It was an amazing adventure, and I am going to enjoy re-visiting the photos and videos that we took throughout the trip.
Thank-you so much to everyone who read and commented.  I just found out that all my blogs have collectively reached well over 10,000 views, so thank-you everyone!

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Rebecca on

In Singapore? You are so close to Beijing! Next week is Chinese New Year, there will be a lot enjoyable here!

Shirley on

Hi Amay, I'm so glad to hear from you here. Chinese New year is coming, Do you remember that Just years ago in this holiday season our big family got together in Beijing China. That was great time we have had.Thank you for sharing with your wonderful trip. I am so proud of you. I have been to many contries which you have mention.You remind me back of them.ex. France,Singapore and so on. Now I still remember them, you and your family.We are looking forward to seeing you soon.Happy Spring Festival!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: