Day Sixteen/ New Years Day

Trip Start Dec 17, 2011
Trip End Jan 14, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Sunday, January 1, 2012

We went skiing late today, after a well-deserved sleep in after last night's festivities.
The ski runs were much less busy, as people started to make their ways back home.  School starts on the 2nd of January here, so the holiday season is effectively over for most Canadians.  It's our last day skiing here, which is sad, because the runs are just becoming empty, the lift lines much shorter, and the snow much smoother.
The girls were determined to ski a double-black run, the level of difficulty of which we don't have in Thredbo.  So, Dad, Laura, Hayley and I psyched ourselves up for the challenge.  The runs were difficult, with a steep gradient, but it wasn't as hard as I had imagined. I felt like the Intimidator run was much more difficult, that I have done twice previously here.
We went into the Sunburst lodge for our daily hot chocolate, and we ate some hot dogs for lunch, too.  We were hoping to go to the Mountain Mass, just a few metres away in the Chapel by 1pm, but we were cutting it close, ordering our food at ten to the hour. We scoffed down our food, and carried our hot chocoltes into the chapel.
The chapel from the outside, looks small, but inside, it appears even tinier. It only fits a congregation of 12, and that was tightly packed.  The Fishers doubled the worshippers, and really filled it. The service was very short, only about 15 minutes.  It was done by Anglicans from Kamloops, who take it in turns to come up every Sunday and give the service.  I have never been to Church before where you can see each person's breath as they breathe through their nose.  It was actually quite amusing to watch.  Everyone was also in their ski gear, helmets and goggles included, another thing I have never done in Church.
The service was lovely, and just the right length, as any longer and I am sure we would have froze.  We continued skiing, before we realised that it was time to finish up.  Our last two runs were the Three Bears, Elyse's favourite run.  Elyse located the run herself, and directed everyone there the first day, so it was a nice place to finish.
We grabbed our walking shoes from the lodge, before we skied through the village for the last time to return our skis.  Returning the skis was easy, we just left them there, and didn't even have to sign anything.  It felt weird to walk back to our apartment, wearing full ski clothes, but no skis.
We started packing for our next adventure, to Paris.  With seven people, this is no mean feat.  Laura fancies herself as a prolific packer, and when she saw my suitcase, she decided that it was not up to her standards, so she re-did it. Packing feels like a physically strenuous exercise for me; it is so draining.  It is amazing how it all fit in nicely before we came.  I haven't bought anything while I've been here, yet I am sure that my clothes have expanded.  My theory is that the Canadian air fills the cotton in the clothes and enlarged them. Just a theory.
We decided to have dinner in a restaurant close to us, as the fridge is absolutely bare.
We went to the restaurant that is near our apartment, which turned out to just be a Tapas restaurant.  We still ate, but then raided the fridge as soon as we got home for scraps.
Tomorrow we will begin our long journey to France, so an early night is in order.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


ronlyn on

What a special new Years day - did you manage any photos of the Church?

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: