Day Fifteen/ New Years Eve

Trip Start Dec 17, 2011
Trip End Jan 14, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Saturday, December 31, 2011

We decided to say good bye to 2011 in the best way possible, we went skiing again.
Our plan to spend the whole day out as usual were dealt a large blow by Mother Nature, when we were hit with -14 degree Celcius chill.  It was so cold outside that my toes stung and fingers needed constant massaging to keep the blood flowing. The cold had a way of creeping into your jacket, and seep through the layers and layers under that. We went in earlier than usual to have a hot chocolate, and everyone else on the mountain seemed to have the same idea.
We finally grabbed a table, and spent a while trying to regain feeling in our toes and fingers. I added some toe warmers, but they proved to be useless in about an hour back out on the snow.
We soldiered on, but finally succumbed to the weather at about 1pm.
We had hot soup for lunch, and went into the spa. The difference in temperature between the spa water and the cool air was so great, that it felt like it was burning when you first went in.
We watched a Mythbusters medley, and started to get ready for our big New Years dinner.
We were going to have a sleigh ride, complimentary for the sleigh team forgetting us on Christmas Day.  They arrived on our doorstep. Two clydesdale horses pulled the sleigh, and it had snow on the floor.  They helped us into the back, then took us for a tour of the town.  We had blankets to keep us warm, and we went around to a part of town that I haven't seen before. We discovered an ice rink that we didn't even know existed.  It was pretty magical to be sitting on the sleigh as we travelled around Sun Peaks village.  Kids waved to us, and adults took pictures.  It felt really special, and was definitely a highlight.  The driver even gave us individually gift-wrapped chocolates as an extra apology for the Christmas Day mix-up.  Thery had more than made up for the error, and we all loved the experience.  The driver told us that one day last winter, it was -52 degrees Celcius in Sun Peaks, which made us feel pretty guilty for complaining about a 'measly' -14 degree day.
We were dropped off in front of the Delta hotel, our destination for dinner, and the same place we ate at for Christmas Day.  This time, it was like a party.  They gave party hats, lei necklaces, and headbands all themed for New Years.  The DJ played everything from a Grease medley to LMFAO.  It pretty much made my night to see some grandparents getting down to Rihanna.  The food was wonderful, and I ate until I felt like I would burst.
Laura, soon into the night, felt as if the Delta residents were ready for her to enter the dance floor. And enter she did, she was the star of the floor, dancing wildly with what was just the kids at that point.  She was like a little dancing pied-piper, and what she did, the kids followed.  Soon, many others joined her, including the other girls and me. The Fisher girls tore it up, and loved it.
The DJ then directed us back to our tables so that we could have our own countdown.  The waitors and waitresses handed out complimetary champagne for the adults, and apple cider for the children. Two waitresses were casualties of the chaos, wearing some champagne as they rushed around.  We were asked to stand up to countdown, but the girls still hadn't recieved their apple cider yet. The waitress sprinted over to them as we reached number 6 on our countdown from 10, so they recieved theirs just in time. We congratulated each other on the new year, then made our way outside for the scheduled fireworks at 8:30.  They gave out hot chocolate, again complimentary.  We stood outside, at the foot of the chairlifts, and watched as over 200 people came down the run with brightly lit flares.  It looked like sparkly, red lava rolling down the edge of a volcano, and was pretty spectacular. They gave a bow as a group at the end, which gave the signal for the fireworks to start.  The fireworks went for over 15 minutes.  Twice, we went to walk away, thinking that they were over, only to realise that there was still more.  The fireworks were inexplicably beautiful, and a great way to usher in the new year. It was cold there, but there were so many people down there to keep it bearable. Some of the fireworks were so big that they illuminated the whole ski fields, which was pretty breathtaking--- had my breath not already been taken away from the cold.
We returned back to the apartment, where we watched the New York Times Square New Years Eve Spectacular.  The New Year has already ticked over in New York, as it had nearly 15 hours ago in Australia, but here in Canada, we are still hanging out in 2011.
Happy New Years!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


ronlyn on

Wow! What a spectacular New Year's Eve.
Happy new Year to all

katemel on

Happy New Year Guys!! You are seeing it in so totally different to us - you are -14 degrees, we are closer to 35 degrees! Don't know which one I'd prefer!!!

Shirley on

Fantastic! a happy family!!

It is always good to hear from you with news about your family.

Happy New Year to you all!

Christie on

Happy New Year, Amy!

I have to tell you that your writing is very enthralling! Oh, the sleigh with beautiful Clydesdale horses! And Sun Peaks looks very agreeable to me. I usually spend my New Year's Eve in Toronto visiting some of our monumental events (I admit I haven't visited the Jubilee Queen yet and she remains one of my unfulfilled wishes). However, I feel I should try a totally new place after reading your story.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: