Day Two/ Landing in Vancouver

Trip Start Dec 17, 2011
Trip End Jan 14, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Canada  , British Columbia,
Monday, December 19, 2011

The flight to Vancouver was one of the longest that I have been on- 15 hours.  Mum was flying in business class, but she popped back occasionally to say hi.  I was sitting with Dad, with Laura, Hayley and Elyse sitting in the row behind us.  Every time I looked back at them to see if they were sleeping, the were dancing, singing to themselves, or consumed in a movie.  I can't blame them; it is so difficult to sleep on a flight. The unwritten law of 'plane etiquette' dictates that one cannot use both the armrests, one can also not fall asleep on, or in the close vicinity to a stranger, climb over someone whilst they are asleep.  I am wary  of these rules, and strictly comply with all of them, which generally means an uncomfortable and sleep-deprived flight for me.  I hope the random guy next to me appreciated that.
On the upside, I was able to catch up on a wide range of movies.  It is always uncomfortable watching movies on a plane, seeing as people behind are able to see what I am watching.  Elyse tapped me on the shoulder a few times to let me know that she was aware of everything that I was watching.
We arrived in Vancouver, and the cold was immediately felt, even though we were inside.  Getting our bags, passing through customs and quarantine was surprisingly quick, and soon we were outside.  Dad organised for us to take a limousine to our hotel.  I felt like such a rock star; traveling to our destination via limo.  The only thing was that the driver had suitcases on his passenger seat, and we all had bags on our laps.
We arrived at the hotel at 8.30am Canadian time, but 3:30am our home time. We were exhausted, and, luckily, they allowed us to check in early.  We had showers and went to sleep almost as soon as we opened the door.
We woke up just before lunch, and went to the conveniently located food court beside our hotel. All fuelled with sugar energy, we began to walk around our new city.  It looks a little Sydney, and what New York is pictured to look like in the movies,  It is a very pretty city, especially down on the marina.  We loved seeing the boats, especially the house boats that actually looked like mini houses.  The streets were not crowded at all, but that may be because the air was so crisp, and only tourists like us were eager enough to venture outdoors. We stopped in for a bathroom break in the lobby of the Hyatt hotel, only to find that it is the home of a Christmas gingerbread competition.  We were wondering why so many busloads of people were coming in, but soon we were one of them, admiring the skilled handiwork of the chefs and their teams. One of them was made by a woodwork team.  Go figure. The houses were so well thought out; complete with lights, Christmas trees, families and furniture inside them when you peered through the window.
We continued on our walk, going into the local IGA to buy some breakfast food.
We went back to the room, before Dad and I went exploring once again. It felt like the day was so late in the evening, but it was only around 3pm.
After getting back home, we went to dinner at a pub nearby and came back home to sleep.  It had been nearly 42hours of being awake, and needless to say, we were tired!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Sunny Wajahat on

Sounds like you and you're family are having a fabulous time :) Keep blogging!! Xxxx

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: