To Live and Kill Time in LA

Trip Start Jun 06, 2005
Trip End Jul 02, 2005

Loading Map
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , California
Monday, June 6, 2005

Made it to Los Angeles International Airport and now I have to find a way to make 8 hours go by quickly! I arrived around 3:30 p.m. local time and my Qantas flight to Sydney doesn't go until 11:50 p.m. This will not be fun or easy. I got my bag, exited terminal 4 at LAX and spent an hour watching planes go by as I stood on the sidewalk next to the Tom Bradley International Terminal. Qantas would be accepting check-in at 5 p.m. so it wasn't so bad to pass that time and it was really great to get rid of my big bag at that time. I was getting slightly tired of lugging it around! I went around some of the airport and took some pictures. Went thru security with no problem, not even taking off my shoes, and toured Terminal 4 again.

You can only go into shops and the food places so many times! I had a meal at Burger King and paid over $11 for a medium-sized combo meal! Airport food at ballpark prices. I tried to nap at my gate (48B) a couple of times and would wander around some more as the day turned into early evening. I went back to the Bradley International Terminal and really took a tour of it minus going to the passenger gates. That place is loaded with shops and has a huge food court. It's full of people from all over the world and you hear different languages, see a variety of clothing styles, the place is as full as I remember it in '03. As it got darker outside the temperature started dropping. Even though it's summertime (almost) we're still close to the Pacific and the proximity to the ocean is enough to drop the temps where you can notice them.

I probably went thru security about 3 times as I wandered around. I'm sure the TSA workers were noticing me as I was wearing my "Northeast Louisiana" sweatshirt the entire time. Hard to miss that after a while! As it got close to 10 p.m. I went over to Gate 41 where a Qantas flight to Sydney was preparing to depart. This was the flight I originally was going to take when I first made my reservations, then changed them to get a lower fare. It is a wildly painted 747 with Aboriginal artwork all over it (a photo is included). I watched it pull out and travel across the tarmac until it disappeared into the night. Yeah, I'd be gone by now if I hadn't changed my plans but I saved about $200 in the rearrangement of my travel so I'll deal with it!

Gate 48B was getting crowded as boarding time approached and I had found a set of seats off to one side so I could stretch out and catch a quick catnap. Then it was 11:30 p.m. and the announcement was made to board. Finally! I was in Group 6 so I had to wait a bit while the first five groups loaded on. I carried my daypack onto the 747 and headed to seat 61H which was an aisle seat (wanted a window...oh, well). Seated next to me were a mother and her daughter from Brisbane who had just landed at LAX an hour earlier! Their other family members were scattered throughout the plane as they had huge travel problems trying to get here from Seattle during their holiday in the States. They were supposed to be in LA the day before but things just got messed up. Sometimes that happens and, so far, I was doing fine with my flight schedule and hoped to stay that way.

Got settled in and eventually we began to taxi out from the gate. Being in a 747 that's taking off is an impressive experience when you know the plane is fully loaded in passengers, baggage, and fuel. We lifted off normally, I started the timer on my watch, and we were on our way to Oz!

More Pictures

Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: