Iguazu Iguassu Iguaçu

Trip Start Nov 17, 2010
Trip End Feb 27, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Argentina  , Litoral,
Tuesday, February 15, 2011

17/02/2011 - Thursday
Our bus arrived in the morning in Foz do Iguaçu, on the Brazilian side of Iguazu Falls.  From our bus stop we caught the shuttle bus to the National Park, where we bought tickets and left our bags in lockers.

Because the falls covers such a large area, most trips there are spread over two days.  The first thing we noticed once we arrived at the falls was how loud it was; there was a constant droning noise from the water going over the falls.  On the Brazilian side there is a path which goes all the way along the edge of the cliff near the edge of the water, and ends at the Devil's Throat, the largest waterfall in the whole area.  There is a large tourist centre built right next to the Devil's Throat, and there are also balconies there which are constantly wet from the spray.

After visiting the Brazilian side we caught a bus halfway back to the bus station, got off and changed buses to head into the Argentinian side.  There are constant buses heading to the border crossing, which was fairly hassle-free, and afterwards we boarded another bus which took us to the town of Puerto Iguazu.  There we found a cheap hostel, where we were given a room all to ourselves because there was an error in booking our original room and the clients hadn't yet checked out.

At the bus terminal in Puerto Iguazu, which was a 10 minute walk from the town centre, we booked our last overnight bus back to Buenos Aires, then headed back to the hostel to play some pool and ping pong.

18/02/2011 - Friday
From the bus terminal in Puerto Iguazu we caught the shuttle bus, which runs every 15 minutes, to the Argentinian side of the falls.  The Argentinian side seemed much larger, and there was even a small train which took visitors to different locations.

We spent two hours walking the long paths to all the different falls, and then caught the train to the "end of the line", where after another 30 minute walk we arrived at the devil's Throat, opposite where we were standing the previous day.  This area was constantly packed with tourists, all standing near the edge to get a photo.

There are also racoon-like animals that live near the falls called "coati", which we nicknamed "facoons", short for fat racoons.  They ran around in groups, and are very nosy and inquisitive.  One even stole an icecream that Wayne had bought, and was then mugged as 5 more jumped in to try get a bite of the ice cream.

After heading back we had lunch at a buffet restaurant and headed back to town.  We left the hostel in the afternoon and waited a while at the bus terminal before getting on our last long distance bus to Buenos Aires.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: