Cool little place

Trip Start Aug 15, 2006
Trip End May 27, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Saturday, July 7, 2007

Wed morning I booked myself onto a group surf lesson as this was the cheapest place to do it.  Unfortunately there was no surf, the lesson wasn't very good as you really need individual instruction as a beginner and I didn't even manage to catch one wave unlike when Tully took me on my own in Byron Bay - oh well.  Have come to the conclusion I don't have the patience for surfing as I kept thinking I would rather be snorkeling under the water or running along the beautiful beach.

That night I sat around the outside fire at the hostel with Claire, Emma, Scott and the rest of the Noosa bunch and got chatting to a young 18 year old lad who mentioned he'd been to Everest for a few months.  Turns out his dad's a doctor and he'd been involved in a research project with the same people I knew who did an Expedition to Everest - small world. 

Thursday I did a cheap 'bush walk''with a local guy called Scott. He was a bit bizzarre as he was obsessed with strange conspiracy theories but it was a good trip and we learnt some info about local wildlife, had a mud clay wrap, swam in the sea and I explored a cave of bats.  That night I went up to the main village of 1770 to watch the sunset with Claire and Scott - quite a beautiful place but nothing there except a marine, dive company and cafe.  Later I chilled out in front of the TV as I had an early start Friday for a dive trip, when someone asked me if I stayed in Yellow Submarine hostel in Brisbane - it was the German guy I went rockclimbing with - you just can't get away from meeting the same people again in this country!

Today I went out with the local dive company and had a pretty cool day apart from the rough sea making me feel slightly nauseous.  There were only around 8 of us on the boat which was a nice small number, although yet again there were some unfriendly Germans but luckily I had a cool and quirky dive instructor who was passionate about marine life so we had a great chat.  We did 2 dives - we saw a giant clam, a reef tip shark, and lots of other cool fish and coral.  Obviously I don't have any pics since I can't take my camera underwater. 

Back at Cool Bananas I quickly got showered and changed to catch my late night Greyhound bus to Rockhampton.  Low and behold it was late and to make matters worse, the connecting bus was an hour late and the connection location was a layby on the side of the road miles from anywhere and it was freezing cold.  Luckily our bus driver had to wait for the connecting bus to pick up passengers so we were able to stay warm.  It was a pretty boring wait and I was just about to see if i could get anyone to break into eye spy when the bus showed up.  Wooh hooh! 

Arrived at Rockhampton so late that the owner had gone to bed and left me a note and a key.  Snuck quitely into my dorm and went to sleep.  Was woken up by a phone call at 4am which I stupidly answered, forgetting where I was and that i was probably annoying everyone in the dorm.  Politely apologised and went into the kitchen to carry on my conversation. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: