World's largest sand island

Trip Start Aug 15, 2006
Trip End May 27, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Australia  ,
Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Our first day in Rainbow beach was great weather so we hit the beach and I went for a run along the sand, bare-foot through the water which was fantastic!  Really sore calf after though which wasn't good.  That afternoon we had our Fraser Island briefing - safety info regarding wild dingos (dogs), rules and regulations, camping info etc. 

Saturday we woke up early, stuffed our faces with free pancakes then had to sit through a good couple of hours of briefing regarding driving the 4x4s.  I quickly lost interest in driving!  After faffing about packing the camping gear, food and all our gear on the roof we were off and got over the the island via a car ferry.  We drove to Lake Mackenzie which was a gorgeous blue lake, fringed by pale soft sand.  Everyone said the water was freezing so I decided to stay on the sand and sunbathe in my bikini ....until the guys decided to throw me in that is.  Oh my word it was cold!  When I got out I felt like I'd been sat on an ice cube I was that numb!  We had ourselves a cracking lunch of huge meat sarnies and set off to set-up camp just behind the sand dunes along the main beach.  We'd been given food and instructions on what to have for each meal and it was steak and potato salad night - great!  We did have the problem that they'd forgot to pack us a light to cook with but we improvised with our headtorches!  We bumped into the guys from Noosa YHA and as it was their last night on Fraser it was a bit of a late one for most people.  I was frozen and didn't last past midnight.....

I cooked us all scrambled egg for breakfast and after a late start we decided to stay put with our campsite and drive up the coast to visit Indian Head and Waddy Point to look for sharks and whales.  I did manage to get an OK pic of the whales but they were pretty far away.  We came across some rock pools with some cool fish in so I got in with my goggles and did a bit of free diving - recognised a few fish as being gobies and hunbug damsels but they were all pretty cool.  Saw loads of crabs, eagles and a pelican but then we had to dash as the tide was coming in and the sun was falling.  We did manage to find time to grab a shower at another campsite on the way back though which was probably a bad idea as we were then driving in dodgy conditions and within minutes everything was coated in sand again anyway

That night I cooked asian chicken stur fry which took ages since the amount of food was for 10 people but it was worth it in the end as hot food is a godsend on a cold night and the lads seemed to really enjoy it too, especially as they hadn't cooked it I guess!  I did make them wash up though, don't worry!

Monday we managed to get packed up reasonably early and went to head off but immediately faced a big problem - flat battery.  Although we'd been careful to run the engine now and then the night before while we had the music and lights going, we forgot to do it when we had music on during breakfast.  For some reason the 4x4 company don't give you jump leads as another group was parked next to us, however, would you believe that the very next minute a tow truck drove by on the beach and the boys managed to flag him down and he jump started the truck - world record for breakdown recovery time!  How about that!  We quickly headed up to Eli Creek which was pretty but then had to dash towards the ferry area to make sure we got there on time.  Turned out that we were quite early so we made ourselves a great spread for lunch and chilled out until it was time to head back. 

Back at Rainbow beach we had the joyous task of unpaclking the truck, washing everything up and cleaning the truck of sand (that wasn't mentioned in the tour information!).  Our truck passed the 'no damage check' and we had a quiet night in at the hostel as we were all shattered from camping. 

Today Alan and his mates set off in their car up North and Claire, myself and Emma from our Fraser group decided to get the bus to Agnes Water at lunchtime.  We spent the morning on the beach then waited at the stop for the Greyhound bus.....and waited.....and waited....and waited....  Eventually one of the hostel staff rang Greyhound to discover the driver was running 2 hours late - great.  So we sat on the grass in the sun.....  2 hours later he turned up and we had a journey from hell-screaming baby most of the way and stupidly fast driving (in the dark) to try and make time-I felt like I was back on the buses in South America and at one point we swerved and bumped up so much that a girl screamed!  When we stopped at Hervey Bay, Kyle got on the bus - a Canadian from my dorm in Noosa - seems that you frequently meet the same people on the East coast!  Eventually made it in one piece, very tired and checked into a great hostel - Cool Bananas.  The guys from Noosa YHA (Scott, Mark, Richard, Az and Harry) were there and some of them in the same dorm as me so we sat and chatted for a while then I got an early night. 
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: