To go or not to go....

Trip Start Dec 28, 2007
Trip End Jan 22, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Guatemala  ,
Thursday, January 3, 2008

Well... when I left off, it was New Year's day and I was suppose to go to Tikal the following morning. Faye, Hannah, Sabina and I woke up at 2:30 AM got ready for our 3 AM  tour. I wasn't the only one feeling under the weather, Hannah had a bit of a stomach ache as well. We decided to go anyways. We waited at our hostel. 1 hour passes and we are still waiting. People started waking up for the 5 AM bus that was leaving Flores. A friend that we met in Semuc Champey was joining us for our tour but leaving the day at on a 10 PM bus to Antigua. This was her only chance to see Tikal. There was a 5 AM bus that went to Tikal so she decided to hope on that because our ride was obviously not showing up. Sabina and Faye joined her to make sure that she got there safely. When they returned they found out that the hostel never called the tour opperator to have them come pick us up.

It turned out that it rained all day. It was better off that we didn't go between Hannah and I not feeling so great and the weather, I was happy to stay in. We were able to set up a tour for the following day with a promise that the bus would show up. I also bought my ticket take me to Rio Dulce the same day of the tour but at 4:30 PM.

The four of us woke up this morning again at 2:30 AM and was ready for the tour. This time there was around 10 people from our hostel going on this tour. At 3:20 AM the bus showed up. I was so happy. It took us straight up to Tikal. We were able to watch the sunrise from the 4th tower which is the tallest ruin. Tikal is a massive grouping of ruins set amidst a dese jungle. The Mayans settled here around 700 BC and by 250 AD was a very populated and important city, culturally and commerically. In peak times (6th century), it sprawled 30 kilometers and a population of 100,000 residence.It bagan to fall from power around 900 AD during the mysterious collapse of hte entire Mayan empire.

We were able to climb most of the temples including one that scared the living day lights out of me. It went straight up. I am one to enver turn down a challange, but I was flush against the wall when I reached the top of some of the ruins. Faye, Hanah, Sabina and I hung around the park until 12:30pm when we took the bus back to Flores. I had a bus to catch at 4:30 pm and still needed to shower before my long journey.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: