Bermagui (said, Bermagooey)

Trip Start Jun 01, 2010
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed
Zane Gray

Flag of Australia  , New South Wales,
Sunday, February 20, 2011


This morning after breakfast & showers (no stinky travel clichés for us!), we set off early for the quick drive down the coast towards Narooma and beyond. We really didn't have a goal for where we wanted to end the day. All we knew was that we were interested in seeing "Mystery Bay" and “Mimosa Rocks”. Firstly we wanted to reach Narooma. It was an easy hour drive from Bateman’s Bay. We stopped at the tourist office there which had an odd lighthouse thing there and a tiny museum. We ate the rest of the cooked chicken leftovers from the day before as a snack.

*As I am writing this on 21.2.11 in our little windswept tarago, Bryan has his hand stuck in a near empty jar of Nutino (nutella) and is now covered in chocolate. Moron.

Anyways, after our snack we set off again on the road. We decided at this point (from the various leaflets Bryan stole from the tourist office) that we would try to stay at one of the caravan parks down between Narooma and Bega. The mountainous scenery off the Princes Highway south of Narooma is stunning. It’s sweeping steep hills of either forest or clearings of pale green grass. Lakes or reservoirs dot the landscape here and there. We decided to keep to the coast and took the turnoff for a little town by the sea called Bermagui. After some pretty wooded coastal inlets we came to large “lake”, really a tidal area connected to sea, where there was a one laned wooden bridge for us to drive over.

After reaching Bermagui (burmagooey) we found Zane Gray caravan park. Here it was 28dollars a night also so liking the ambiance of the village, the views from the park opposite the main drag and the sheltered beach on Horseshoe Bay with crystal clear waters, we checked in for 2 nights.

Now at this point we began to think about budget... As wonderful as it is hopping from park and beach, we need to start doing one of two things: 1. Do some volunteering as Wwoofing (willing workers on organic farms 2. Do some paid harvest work. For where we are right now Wwoofing seems the easier option. Bryan is taking charge of this! He spent some time in the evening playing games of “Plants Vs. Zombies” on the laptop. He says “this is all good preparation for the farm work”. After a few calls he got through to a lady who may have a few days work for us at her plot of land in one of the neighbouring areas. Yay! We meet her tomorrow.

In the evening we took a drive back up north towards a sign we’d seen saying “Camel Rock Surf Beach”. Bryan likes to call it camel toe rock for some reason. It wasn’t too far away and we drove down a dirt track to reach the carpark. There was this massive craggy rock at one end of the beach, which to us looked more like a “dragon” than a camel. It was a really nice long long beach which we strolled about for a while until it started to mist.

After a wind free day, there was a strong breeze after kicking up and clouds had rolled in. We returned to our tent to find the sunshelter we set up overhead the tent (to protect the tent from rain – it had been wet the night before) had been strapped down without it’s legs over the tent. Our elderly neighbour from the campervan next door to us came out to let us know the whole thing had nearly took off in a gust. We thanked him very much for helping us and just took it down altogether. The night got pretty yucky with strong gusts up to 50km/hr and some rain. It was cold outside but in the tent we were happy out.


The morning was cool enough and we had a “lie in” til 9am! Big changes to our lifestyle since we left Sydney a few days ago! We’re up by 8 most mornings to get to whatever destination early in the day. It gives us tons of flexibility with things to do.

We spent a lot of today doing routine things like laundry and researching. We also spent a bit of time waiting to meet what will hopefully be our first Wwoof host. We met Diana at an agreed location in the village and later followed her to her house and land. It’s idyllic and though close to the highway it’s in almost wilderness. Her partner Harvey was at home and they both welcomed us into their home with a beer. We discussed casually for a while and they explained some of the projects they’re working on and things that need doing, carting stones for the foundations for a new straw bale building, making vegetable beds, strimming, lawn mowing and mending fences. We will have an initial visit of 2 days and depending on how things go we may stay for a week or so. We’re mad to get stuck in to be honest. It will make a swim in the sea so much more rewarding.

In the evening we drove up to the strangely named “Mystery Bay”. It is part of the Eurobodella National Park. Turns out it was named after the disappearance of a group of men from the Department of Mines while investigating the Montreal Gold Field back in 1880. Their boat was found holed and abandoned without trace of Lamont Young or his companions. Max Schneider, his assistant, was a very well trained ex-soldier who would have been able to fight attackers off. However, it seems they got into trouble with other people but of course no evidence was found... hence the Mystery Bay.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: