Preparing a penang in a powercut

Trip Start Apr 21, 2012
Trip End May 06, 2012

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Thailand  ,
Thursday, May 3, 2012

After the idleness of the last two days we actually have plans for today – a Thai massage (for the stress) followed by a Thai cookery course (for me) in Chaweng with the chance to eat my creation afterwards.

Still a lazy start – sat in a 'shade lounger' (it’s too hot to sit in the sun) watching a fat yellow caterpillar circle a plant pot.

We wandered down to the beach and found a masseuse – unfortunately just one, so I had a Thai massage looking out over the paradisiacal Bangrak beach. The massage was great – as well as manipulating your muscles the work your joints too – bending and stretching you into yoga-like poses. I came away convinced I had no bones left.

We’d arranged to get picked up so we had a bit of time in Chaweng before and after my course.

Arriving I can’t say we were impressed – the main street is an odd mix of higher end resorts and some seedy looking places. And no where looked good to eat. We finally found our way to the beach – which is as gorgeous as the rest – and had just ordered some grub when we noticed some dark clouds on the horizon. Minutes later the wind started and the rain came down in bucket-loads. We’d been watching the boats in the bay and one-by one they disappeared behind a veil of rain. Pretty spectacular, just a shame we had to venture out in it to get to my class.

The cookery class we great. The first half was conducted by candle light – the storm had knocked the power out. At the end Dean joined me to enjoy the penang curry, steamed fish and Pad Seiw Sui noodles I’d learnt to cook – yum.

We then visited a few bars - some which Dean had ‘tested’ while I was cooking – and watched Chaweng become lively with taxis, songthaws and advertising van prowling the street selling their wares.

A crappy end to the day when our pre-paid taxi didn’t arrive to pick us up. Cue a 10 minute phone call of Dean saying "we were there waiting" (we were) and them sayin “we waited 10 minutes and you weren’t there”. We got home via songthaw which gave us the chance to see the island at night, following which we just crashed – we’re not used to all this excitement, especially with Dean’s ‘malaria’ (a cold and a bad back).
Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: