Not a great first impression

Trip Start Sep 21, 2009
Trip End Apr 28, 2010

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of South Africa  , KwaZulu-Natal,
Sunday, September 27, 2009

7.30 start to get on the road – just like yesterday: 14 to 15 hours ahead of me but today I was feeling on form and more importantly not hangover!!

The first driver was Jay – He grew up in the Homelands and does a bit of charity work for the local kids giving them food and clothes with the help of his sister – so we stopped on the way to give bread to the kids.

After East London we had Joshua from the Congo; he did not speak French but was saying that they have 450 different dialects there. Just before we set off every driver gives us a little speech about the times and what's going to happen on the way. Joshua told us I quote "We have a 2 hour drive nonstop, I can stop for toilet but not for smoking unless it is weed!" Everyone sort of laughed but I think he was not joking at all. He also added “God is in control so there will be no problems, if you don’t believe in God, ask me to slow down and I will” I was not sure how to take that really :-) and he finished off by saying that we will arriving in Durban “at 10pm African Time”.

The drive was bumpy at times and I was literally ejected 3-4 inches off my seat on several occasions. We drove through a village where I saw a guy who did not look like a tramp just lying in garbage – bizarre!

We drove through a place called Mthatha in the Homelands I think. It looked a lot more like what you’d expect Africa to look like. The place was heaving with people and it was very run down.

We arrived in Durban at about 9.30 (a German girl from the bus was stopping there as well) and my first impression was not great, the area was not the best and neither was the hostel actually. It was in what seemed to be a block of flats and as we walked up the stairs we could hear a lot of kids screaming, a little bit like a play ground – I learnt later that it was a holiday camp as it was the school holidays.

The dorm itself was kind of standard but you should have seen the state of their so called safe. I started to put my stuff in one of them only to realize that it had been broken into from the side making it completely useless. There was another one that I was able to use but it would be so easy to just break into it.

There was also no internet access at that time as it was after 8pm – Great! I need to get the details for the Sani Pass Tour tomorrow but I am sure I can get that from the airport.
Slideshow Report as Spam
Where I stayed
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: