Trip Start Jan 04, 2005
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Friday, March 25, 2005

We left Koh Tao with heavy hearts, knowing that our 2 weeks on the beaches were over, although happy that we had got our PADI diving certificates, and also that we were moving on to pastures new.

Beginning a long slog of travelling we got the ferry from Koh Tao to Chumphon, on the Thailand mainland east cost. Here we had a 4 hour wait for the train into Malaysia, so we went to a restaurant for dinner. At the front of the restaurant there was a stage and Thai girls took it in turn to do a little karaoke number, we didn't think anything of this until we noticed small numbered rooms around the edge of the seating area. Then a young thai man approached one of the girls on the stage and pointed to one of the rooms, and after she had finished her song they both disappeared into the room. I leave you to draw your own conclusions as to what it was, but I'll bet it's the same conclusion we got to.

Our train arrived about 11 and we got on and went straight to bed (the sleeper trains in Thailand are really good), but we were woken at about 5am by the Thai passengers getting up, and the westerners grumbling. The train got into Butterworth (strange name, apparently named after an English General when Malaysia was owned by us), and we expected a wait before we could get any transport to Kuala Lumpur, our next destination. Fortunately as we got off a chubby Malaysian bustled us onto a coach we hoped was going to KL, and fortunately it did, and we arrived late afternoon.

Having befriended a couple fo English lads we all shacked up in a hostel which was cheap and not too cheerful (the rooftop berr garden consisted of a few patio chairs on the roof, and nothing else). We got ourselves settled and headed out into KL for some food. Having missed happy hour due to the clocks changing (we didn't realise) we ended up paying for some quite exspensive drinks and a meal, then decided to leave as it was too pricey. Fortunately for us we found somewhere more expensive just a short walk away, the man on the door said there was a show on upstairs, and naturally wary of 'shows' after being in Asia a while we asked 'What kind of show?', he told us it was stand up comedy so up we went. The stand up comedy lasted about 2 mins and was performed by a drag queen, in between disco karakoe sets, also performed by drag queens. Mary loved the place and forced us to stay for a bottle of wine, and one of our english friends got dragged up on stage for a little dance, while his friend muttered 'he won't like that'.

The next day we went to see 'the tallest building in the world', the Petronas towers, and they were very impressive, we couldn't go up to the viewing bridge as all the tickets had gone, but we did go up to the top of the KL tower, which is a communication tower almost as high.

After this we managed a gruelling 300m trek through a small patch of 'jungle', and went to do some shopping. After the hard day we headed back and spent the evening on the roof terrace drinking cheap beers, just popping out for a KFC for dinner next door. Got to bed about 3:00am, and I was due to catch a bus at 7:15 in the morning.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: