Split, Croatia

Trip Start Mar 15, 2006
Trip End Apr 01, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines
Where I stayed

Flag of Croatia  ,
Wednesday, March 22, 2006

We started the day with an above average breakfast at the Hotel Concordia (in Trogir). Our experiences here were bittersweet but we knew this would be a day for a change. And it was.

We drive to Split, the nearest large city to Trogir. This was the place where we were to catch the ferry to the island of Hvar, and eventually across the Adriatic sea to Ancona, Italy. Dark clouds had rolled in and after speaking to the ferry office, I knew that Hvar was out of our reach. We decided that our options were to drive to Dubrovnik, a beautiful city 3 hours to the south of Split, or to make a more radical itinerary change and head for Italy by car. We decided to think it over while touring the ruins of Dioclesian's Palace, located next to the ferry port in Split.

The former palace (est 300 AD) has served as a town center for atleast a millennium. Within the basic original architecture, generations of residents have altered, improved, seen destroyed, and rebuilt a magnificent mosaic where homes, businesses, and religious places are intertwined. The people here in Split were quite friendly and we spent most of the day exploring the town and learning about the history and culture of the Croatian people. There was also an excellent market outside the palace wall, where we found some good treats and a few souvenirs.

In late afternoon, it began to rain, and we still had a decision to make regarding our next destination. After looking into the weather, we decided to cut and run for Venice. The new road from Split to Rijeka was excellent, and took us all the way in a little over 3 hours (in pouring rain), travelling between 140 and 160 kph most of the way (yes, the limit is 130, but everyone else was doing it!). After a quick pizza in Opatjia, we headed into some dense fog which slowed us down, but the entire drive from Split to Venice was completed in about 6 hours.

So now we are in Venice, 2 days early. And who knows what is next...
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: