Jelawang Country Park

Trip Start Jun 26, 2006
Trip End Dec 24, 2006

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Malaysia  ,
Tuesday, July 4, 2006

Well what can I say.... We got up early to catch the 8am bus form KL to Mentakab where we were to catch the jungle train up the Interior to Dabong where we decided to take a break and visit the Jelawang Country Park and climb up to the top of the waterfall....

All I can say was that it was an experience. There are so many nice people here in Malaysia, and they will do what they can to help you out with what many of them have is limited English. We finally found the train station in Mentakab which was a little difficult as well we were on the bus and it stopped and we didn't move and before we know it we were being shouted at by the driver to get off the bus as we were in Mentakab. We didn't get dropped at the bus station and so were a little confused as to where we were.

Finally found the train station and we got quite a laugh. We were stared at a lot... we figured not many tourist go through this part of the world.... The ticket conductor laughed each time we asked a question as our pronunciation of places was a little off.... All you can do is laugh at them laughing at you....

We were promised that the train that was coming had 1 aircontitioned carriage... it did like hell.... the airconditioning was open windows.... And the train had a lot of cockroaches... horrible horrible things that crawled everywhere... I hate to say this but you just had to close your eyes to them as we had 6 hours of them crawling everywhere. Probably explains why it only cost us RM10 (2 Euro) to do a 6 hour journey.

We finally got to Dabong where we had planned to stay. We had had difficulties with the phone in the one and only place in town to stay. They were full but they gave us some little hut. It had a shower and that was all that mattered really.

Following morning as we came out to go the breakfast we were hounded by a taxi driver who was to bring us over the park. It was mad. Even though we explained we were not ready to go he followed us down to the place we had breakfast and followed us back again before actually driving us over to the Park.

We finally got there and went walking towards the Waterfall, the main walk in the park. We met a guide why brought us the waterfall bottom and we decided to keep going to the top. It was a very tough climb. We were climbing rocks and crossing the river in points.... We were only half way when I though we were at the top. The jungle walk to the top was steep but interesting. Apparently there was a few snakes along the way but thankfully I didn't see them. We did get to see some birds and hear the monkey's screech.

The view from the top of the waterfall was just fab. We sat there and had lunch and enjoyed the view. We had a look at the higher section of the waterfall too before we headed back down on the jungle track. My God was it hard. We had to go backwards for sections of it but it was good. I have never felt so uuuuuuuuuugh in my life.... I wanted a shower...

Got collected again and back to the hut thing and a shower and a little washing later and a little snooze before we had to move rooms. We got an airconditioned room which was just so cold. We couldn't turn the dam thing off and we all froze at night. We has no shower and a squat toilet..... But it didn't really matter as we were on the 6.43 train the follow morning to continue up to Kota Bahru.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: