Nicaragua, SEMANA SANTA!

Trip Start Feb 24, 2009
Trip End Aug 2009

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of Nicaragua  ,
Saturday, April 18, 2009

Semana Santa...

a crazy time for travelling. Especially in Costa Rica. As it is such a catholic country all the people have almost the whole week off and go to the beaches or the mountains. As it was also for us a whole week without clases and other liabilities, we took the chance and headed off to close Nicaragua.
At 5 am we just got it on time to catch our bus to the border. Arriving there at 6, we thought it wouldnīt take too long. Well, we were so naive... after more than 2 hours lining up waiting and sweating, we finally arrived at the Nicaraguan side of the border. Already pretty annoyed by 2 Canadians we meet, whom just couldnīt close their mouth for a minute, we headed off in 2 different directions.
After a few hours travelling ( buses in Nicaragua take more time than in Cosat Rica) we arrived in San Juan del Sur. Heading to our Hostel, we got the last 2 beds. After getting to know the city, we chilled out at the beach with some Toņa ( nicaraguan beer) and nachos. Watching children play soccer at the sandy beach and gazing at the stunning sunset we returned to our Hostel with a nice bottle of "Flor the Caņa", the good nicaraguan rum. :)
With some nice Cuba Libre we relaxed at the hostel with some other guys before we were about to head the next day to Isla Ometepe. This island is situated in the Lago the Nicaragua. After a fairy trip, during which we could alreday take a glance at this stunning island, we arrived, took a cab and went to the Finka Magdalena. During the journey we could already see the special nature of this place. Itīs the only island in the world with 2 volcanos on it... surrounded be a fresh water lake. Especially from the terrace of our Finka we had that awesome panorama of the bigger one of the 2 volcanos, the lake and all the exotic plants wich sourrounded our Finka. Being taken into that romantic atmosphere we went down to the lake to watch the sunset.. again with our beloved Flor the Caņa.There got into a conversation with a Nica, who told us a lot about the country and mentality. After saying good-bye to the day he invited us to meet his family and a girl, who does some voluntering work and stays at his place. In the end we ended up in one of the "shop" of the village where all the clothes from all over the world arrive, which people donate for poorer countries. Seeing all these people with a sparkle in their eyes when they saw some "nice" trousers or whatever, really catched us. In the end we saw us hanging over the cothes too. Anja actually ended up finding some shirt. :)
Returning back to the Finka through the darkness, with just the moon as our guide, we let the evening die away with some of our dorm mates. After our first night in those, former stalls, of the farm, we got up early to climb with Nico and Luis the volcano, where our Finka was situated. After 4 hours of hardest climbing, slipping and hangeling we finally arrived at the top of the volcano. The special thing about this volcano is, that it has a lake at the top. Trying to get some refreshment we were about to run into the nice cold... when Luis sank into the mud. In the end we were happy with just glancing at the beauty of it, as it is pretty difficult to get into it! :) After further 3 hours on the way down, with some tumbles we arrived back at the Finka, happy to not be in the need to move any more! 
With the relaxed atmosphere in the middle of nowhere all the people of the Finka felt very close at nights.. so you got to know many people... drinking rum and talking about the experiences of the day. That night we met 2 Nicas, who invited us to go fishing the next morning. After waking up way too late.. we ended up after some more time in the village bought some strings, had breakfast and then asked some children of the village to catch some crabs for us. Breaking away their legs we attached them at our self made fishing-rod, climed on a tree and tried to fish some. Eventually we ended up with nothing in our hands and only the idea in our heads to go and get some beer. Wandering around the only street existing we took a break at a soda... had a few liters of Toņa for lunch and headed down to a quiet spot of the lake. Enjoying the cold fresh and taking some sun, we stayed there until sunset, before we went to another Finka called Zopilote. This Italian run Finka offerd home.made Pizza... which a treat for us. We grapped the chance of a rice-free dinner and enjoyed the pizza under the stairy sky with some other Germans we meet. Walking all the way back home, we fell almost dead into our beds... already knowing that a calm day has to lay ahead of us! :)
The following days passed with hamok-chilling, visting our friends in Zopilote at night and just enjoying the peace of this island, which seems to be out of this world!
Our last night was planned to be just party, party, party... and then taking the first bus at 4 to the fairy. In the end the party didnīt take place... I got a virus and we had no bed to stay at! Puh... while we were waiting for our Casado in the Soda I felt my stomach rumoring... Just a few minutes later I couldnīt hold it. Running every other minute to the toilet I didnīt touch my fish dish. Then the women of the Soda came.. telling me she knows what I need, she disapeared in the kitchen. Coming back with a glass of a yellow liquid, she added some salt and told me to drink this lemon juice with salt... itīll help me! With her in my back, watching me, a had to drink the awefull drink... almost feeling the need to vomit with each sip I took. After I thought Iīm released of her treatment, she came back with a huge pill and a glass of water!  My eyes widening with fear.. she stood next to me, yelling at me "Tomarlo!Tomarlo!".. which wasnīt very helpfull. In the moment I did swallow it, I imediately jumped up, think to vomit right on the table... Gosh in the end of this procession I sat on my chair totally exhausted, not feeling any better, but just so glad to have satisfied her. Looking back to that I can just think about how hard it must have been for the others at the table, not starting to laugh out loud... After trotting to Zopilote we stayed with our German friends in the kitchen and in their room.. and took a few hours of sleep before we took the bus to the fairy. This definately was a special week! Weīll never forget the people we meet, the kindness we experienced and the great nature we got in touch with!
Nicaragua- what a country!!!
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • You must enter a comment
  • You must enter your name
  • You must enter a valid name (" & < > \ / are not accepted).
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: