Day 12 - Las Vegas

Trip Start Aug 16, 2008
Trip End Sep 01, 2008

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Nevada
Wednesday, August 27, 2008

After a long night, we again slept in and took long showers. Arriving a little late for breakfast, we had brunch at the buffet at Excalibur.

Did you ever hear my chocolate pudding story? If so, you know exactly why buffets should be avoided (if not, ask, and I shall tell). However, we had been told that buffets in Las Vegas were the best - they were wrong. Is it that hard to wash vegetables before they're served, or use fresh vegetables, or not cook them until they are mush? Apparently so. The meats, potatoes, rolls and ice cream were all that was remotely edible. Ooh, health food.

We spent some more time at the slot machines before we searched for the bus to take us to Fremont Street. At our hotel, they said to catch the bus from MGM Grand. At MGM Grand they said to catch the bus in front of the M&M Store. We caught the bus from a stop between the two.

It was a double-decker bus that was already almost full, requiring us to stand in the area reserved for wheelchairs, hanging onto the bars as we were jerked around at every stop. And, there were a lot of stops. The driver packed us in there like cattle to the slaughter. There was a pair of women with a shoeless small child, two suitcases, a backpack and a stroller who argued with the driver about their need to sit in a seat with the kid, causing unnecessary delay, and blocking any entrance onto or exit from the bus. It took almost forty-five minutes to get to Fremont Street in those conditions.

Since we got down there right after the Fremont Experience ended, we had almost an hour to kill before the next show. We browsed through a few gift shops and decided to try our luck at some casinos. Erin sat down in the Golden Nugget at a penny-slot with one dollar and walked away with more than $10, still unsure how the game worked, but pleased to have finally won something. We also went to Binions and put a few dollars into the penny-slots there.

It was almost time for the show, so we went back out onto the street to watch. The show was an awesome audio/visual presentation of Don McLean's "American Pie," and everyone sang along with the chorus with their faces upturned to watch old news reels and a rocket blasting down the canopy (see video).

After the show, we caught a rather empty bus back to the strip. It wasn't very empty for long, as people are plentiful in Las Vegas. One pair of girls, not wanting to stand or find seats that would fit the both of them, decided to squeeze themselves onto the bench that we were sitting on. After the first girl sat down, I didn't think that the other would try to squeeze in between Gary and her friend, since I could clearly see that she wouldn't fit. However, she used her large behind to push Gary to the side and she did sit down. The two of us quickly moved over so that she wouldn't be sitting on Gary, but then, having room to expand, she did. The first thing we heard her say was that she was surprised to be sweating at 10:30 at night. It didn't surprise us one bit. For the next few stops, she constantly played with her hair and elbowed Gary every time she raised her arm. She also gave off a particularly offensive odor as she did this. We tried to scoot away again and again, and she continued to expand. Finally, with the smell too strong to bear, we exited the bus and walked the rest of the way back to our hotel, only too happy to be on our sore feet and away from her incredible stink.
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: