Home of the Naval Academy and Good Crab Cakes

Trip Start Jun 12, 2012
Trip End Ongoing

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , Maryland
Thursday, July 12, 2012

Ok, so I am really behind on writing—9 days behind. I will get caught up soon (hopefully…) but in the meantime, here's a quick update on what we have been up to the past couple of days. I have been hearing word that some people following the blog are concerned if everything is OK since I haven’t had an entry about anything after the fourth. Shout out to my Grandpa’s friends in Florida who partake in the "Round Table." (This makes me think of the Knights of the Round Table, though they are all much smarter than King Arthur’s silly knights.) They get together for coffee most mornings and discuss issues in an attempt to solve the world’s problems before many people want to get out of bed. And comedy is never too far.  

We left Annapolis this morning and are headed down towards Norfolk, Virginia where we plan on seeing my Dad’s cousin Joyce and her family. I can’t wait! (And if it weren’t for that as a motivating factor I might have left the trip in Annapolis.) We have officially been on the boat for a month, and it’s amazing we’ve made it this long without killing each other. I could live indefinitely on a boat (in fact, I would love to) but not in such close proximity to my brother. We get on each other’s nerves too much.

We woke up early this morning to get a good start. Dad woke up to the sounds of the Naval Academy Drills at 6am. Jameson and I could have easily slept through it. We filled up on diesel and got more fuel for the dinghy and shoved off. The skies were very dark and gloomy, so we probably should have already prepared the enclosure for the storms, but we waited until it started storming to get the plastic up. Now we have 16 hours underway which should give me some time to get writing done!

We arrived in Annapolis sometime on the afternoon of Thursday the 12th and moored off a ball. Mooring is cheaper than docking, and more pleasant too though slightly less convenient. Plus it's nice to not have to worry about slamming into docks. We all went into town and had a quick lunch at Chick and Ruth’s Delly (I don’t know why they spell Deli that way) and of course chocolate shakes (malt for me!) Then Dad and Jameson hit up West Marine. We’ve been consistently having issues with the generator and Dad had a number of theories at different points. We joke about how sensitive the generator is, and Jameson at one point told Dad, “Your generator needs therapy again.” But after multiple trips to West Marine, a replaced impeller (again,) some messing around with voltages and who knows what else, it is currently working. It would work in harbors at night, but many times on a wavy day it would keep sputtering and turning off. It’s been finicky about needing the air running simultaneously to power the micro and coffee maker too. It has definitely been a pain.  

Dad worked on stuff on the boat for most of the night, until we finally went back into town after 10. We went to McGarvey’s Saloon and Oyster Bar for a snack, and beer for Dad and me, since they were one of the few bars we tried with a kitchen still open. The beer on the menu “Heavy Seas, Loose Cannon” made me laugh and I almost wish I had tried it just for the name, but I didn’t. Probably for the best since I really enjoyed the beer I had and I’m not sure how much I like IPA. I ended up having Goose Island 312 Urban Wheat Ale on special and I am a fan.  

We slept in the morning of Friday the 13th, got a nice shower in, and I did laundry and had a coffee and bagel at Starbucks with Dad while I waited for it to be done. The marina facilities use coins instead of a code or key, and I kind of like that idea...no numbers to forget! Dad spent a lot of time in a hardware store, and then after getting Jameson at the boat we took Cocoa for a walk and had lunch at O’Brian’s outside. Jameson and Dad then made a second trip to West Marine by dinghy because it was closer than walking. With all the zoning laws and high rent, there’s empty real estate near the water which people have to fight in order to have something other than a marine store there, even though in the meantime the marine stores have relocated away from right there near the harbor.

While they were at the boat store, I got to wander around Annapolis by myself taking pictures and wandering into shops. Of course I found a book shop which happened to have an interesting array of books and looked like a good spot for serious collectors.

I stopped to read a sign about the site where the city gates used to be, and as a man walked past me, he turned to look at me and smiling said, “Look out for ill famed men.” The sign mentions the city gates were meant to keep out "men of ill fame.” (This is bad, but I found it slightly funny that a beggar that I came upon happened to be a block further away past that sign…)

Jameson’s friend from school, Darrell who lives nearby came to hang out with us. We hit up a happy hour then wandered around more, and I showed them the bookstore I found. Jameson had no problem convincing me to get an 8 volume set on the decline and fall of Rome so now Dad jokes I am set for a trip all the way around the world. Another indulgence of mine…

We had a great dinner—Bbq Salmon tower, and I had black bean soup too—at a nice spot on the water (We have really been enjoying this town!) and the consensus was we wanted dessert so we went back to that Deli for another malt, (I’m a sucker) and some uncooked crab cakes to make for dinner on the boat. (Can’t wait!) 4 girls were sharing a six pound colossal shake in the booth next to us, and one of them said, “So guys, gym tomorrow?” One of the girls mentioned she had seen one humongous man order three of the six pound shakes on one visit. That is 18 pounds of shake! (And Bloomberg wants to get rid of huge soft drinks—ha, those are a joke compared to these shakes. If they are going to limit anything, maybe they should start with limiting people to one six pound shake. Forget obesity… that sounds like an immediate potential health risk!)   

After watching some TV on the boat Jameson ferried Darrell back in and then we hoisted the dinghy onto the deck in preparation to take off the next morning. Jameson was right, he told me I would love Annapolis, and we probably could have easily spent an entire week there.     
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


Richard Pietrowski on

Really enjoy reading everything you write.The pictures are great.Safe sailing and see you soon.

Don Scott on

Good to hear that all is well and that you're underway again -
Don Scott- the Canadian Knight of the Florida Round Table

aepietro on

Thanks Richard, Looking forward to Myrtle Beach!

aepietro on

Sir Don,
I got a huge kick out of your comment!
Hope you and all of your fellow knights are well!

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: