The last 100miles to Newark and its all over!!

Trip Start Mar 20, 2011
Trip End Jun 05, 2011

Loading Map
Map your own trip!
Map Options
Show trip route
Hide lines

Flag of United States  , New Jersey
Sunday, June 5, 2011


Bartonsville (Pennsylvania) to Newark Airport

As I left Bartonsville (Pennsylvania) this morning for New York it was rather sad to believe that this was the last and final 100 miles of this magical adventure. It was to be a real easy trip which was just about highway all the way. As much as I had loads of time I was still in a massive rush as I just did not want anything to go wrong. I also had to make sure I actually had a flight as last night I noticed my name was incorrectly spelt on my ticket and I also could not find my booking on the airlines website so I was rather worried.

Highway after highway all the way to Newark. Don't ask me how but somehow I managed to find my way to the docks where I had to deliver the bike to without taking a single wrong turn. That must be a first for me!!

When I arrived at the port depot I saw the security hut and went and took a look inside. The hut was empty but looked as though someone was recently in there as there was a pc that was up and running and loads of paperwork so I was not too worried. I then sorted out what was coming with me and what was staying on the bike and also got out of my hot and sweaty bike gear.

Not long after that a chap arrived in a typically large American pick-up. It turns out he was the security chap and after chatting for about half a hour he opened the depot gates and I parked the bike up inside the gates. This chap had no security badge or any form of ID so I just hope he was security and not some kind of thief ready to steal my bike!!!

As I parked up my bike I took another photo of it in its dirty state. Its hard to believe its only 7 months old and already has 16000 miles on the clock. I am extremely proud of this machine. In 16000 miles all she has needed was two oil changes, a air filter and one drive chain which I fitted this week. When one considers the very rough roads of Bolivia and Chile that she was hammered across, the terrible sands of the desert and the long hard thrash along the highways of America I think she has really stood up to the job I bought her for. When I look at some of the other bikes and the problems they had I bet they wish they all bought a Honda;-)

After more chatting with the security guard he called me a cab and within ten minutes I was on my way to Newark Airport.

It was now only 11am and my flight was not until 20h00 tonight, nine long hours to sit around any airport is simply sole destroying!! First thing I had to do was sort out my wrongly spelt name on my ticket and make sure I had a flight booked.

I joined the queue of passengers and finally got to the front at the new self check-in. It scanned my passport and came up with nothing. I punched in my booking ref and still nothing. I was now getting worried about not even having a flight. Many of the others in the group had booked flights during the trip and found out they had been conned and their card details been taken. I booked my flight at a travel agent in Las Vegas so should be ok even though he got my name wrong.

Finally I got a gentleman to help me and at first he could not find me on the flight list but after a few enquiries he managed to find my name on the list. He asked me if I was first class and I replied "No". Why did I say that??? Why did I just not answer “Yes” and perhaps I would have got seated in first!!

Since then its been a long boring day here in the airport. One good thing is that I am not committed to anything until at least 6pm tonight and so I can simply do as I please. Sleep, read, walk around or even watch the planes. Unlike the last few weeks where I had to be at a certain place at a certain time its just so nice to relax once again. I think tonight, the minute I get on that plane to Edinburgh my eyes will be closing for the next 6 hours at least!!

Edinburgh here I come!!

I will write up a long story shortly (when I get time between work) about the whole trip and the ups and downs of such a trip. Like any long adventure there are always ups and downs but for sure on this one the ups definitely ought weigh the downs. One thing I did do on this trip was make it what I wanted it to be and that's why much of the time I was riding alone. Taking photos is one of my hobbies and this of course meant stopping loads of times along the way and in turn getting left behind from the others.

Anyway I'm off to see what happening with my flight home.

Catch you all later
Slideshow Report as Spam
  • Your comment has been posted. Click here or reload this page to see it below.

  • Please enter a comment.
  • Please provide your name.
  • Please avoid using symbols in your name.
  • This name is a bit long. Please shorten it, or avoid special characters.
  • Please enter your email address to receive notification
  • Please enter a valid email address


martin lonergan on

Brilliant and well done.
See you soon.

Trevor Heath on

A good ending....Paul Theroux would be proud of you....

Geoff Hall on

Well done mate, pleased you got to the airport ok.

will speak to you soon, and as always lekker ry !

Richard and Caroline on

A truly superb achievement Richard. Well done! Look forward to perusing all your photos and you tube videos.

Use this image in your site

Copy and paste this html: